They Finally Caught Me

 

As you may recall part of the benefits of working the Hulu account at the call center job that I had back in October of 2020 for all of about 3 weeks or so was a free VIP Hulu account offering premium access with limited ads on TV shows and ad-free movies.

Now this subscription was totally tied to my job working the Hulu account as the intent was to allow me to become familiar with what Hulu has to offer in order to help my customers. When I quit, the VIP account was supposed to go away.

But it never did.

So from October 2020 to just this past week, I skated by with a free Hulu subscription.

Well they finally caught on. Tried to access Hulu on my Fire TV stick and it treated me like it didn't know who the hell I was. I signed in with the credentials that I still remembered with the username being a hulu.com email account that of course I no longer have access to. It let me log in but still asked me how I wanted to pay for a subscription. Tried it on the computer, same thing. 

I called customer service and a very polite and pleasant Indian lady worked to see what went on with the account. She read to me that it was canceled due to a manual cleanup. She deftly asked how I received the account in the first place, I told her. She delicately informed me that VIP accounts were not unlimited and in fact last only throughout one's employment. She offered to escalate the issue but I didn't want to waste her time or mine and she was nice so I wasn't about to start lying or acting entitled. I told her I hadn't worked for Hulu for almost 3 years and admitted that I was getting it for free despite that fact. We giggled a bit. I asked her if she had any deep discounts for me to get back on Hulu. Just the usual ones.

(This all comes just about a month after I learned that the free Peacock account I enjoyed, being a "valued customer" of Xfinity aka Comcast aka the owners of NBC, and thus, Peacock, had expired. Turns out it was just a promotion that has now ended.)

So the party is over. I no longer have free Hulu. I've binged quite a few shows on Hulu over these past 3 years. I guess I'm lucky this didn't happen right in the middle of one of those binges. It does mean that I'll be missing the newest season of Only Murders in the Building. Oh well. I guess I'll dry my tears and get over it.