LIVE BLOG: Artemis I Moon Launch!

 


12:48 am -- We're watching a live stream from NASA's YouTube channel, holding at a T-Minus 10-minute count. Announcer mentioned that the window for launch would open at 1:04 am where, I'd guess, if conditions are favorable, they'll restart the countdown to launch. This is an unmanned launch by the way but it will kinda be carrying a memento from me.

12:51 am -- An interviewer is questioning spectators assembled at a viewing stand, I guess in Titusville, and they are talking about their enthusiasm for this first rocket launch to the moon since 1972.

12:54 am -- There are exactly 346,719 watching on this stream. Announcer saying they are placing launch in an indefinite hold and he doesn't hammer down an exact ETA now but it might mean a scrub. I personally have to get up in the morning so I can't stay up too, too late so fingers crossed.

12:57 am -- Hey, as usual, it's time to check out some of the thousands of comments in chat whizzing by. I'll have to dip in, copy, and paste to grab what I can...

nobomb
​❤❤❤❤❤

BroDaKarat
​delay is better than boom boom ๐Ÿ’ฅ

ALewdCard
​M O O N

helenofirvine
​Not going to launch tonight... again...

Karla Rivas
​whoever said the moon isnt real needs to look up at the sky not there technology

Oliver Edwards
​i am on the ship wish me luck

Daniel Krenn
​scrubbed

daschawk
​Yeah, this is getting delayed indefinitely again.

Avishek Gyawali
​go

PolarV
​ROCKET GONNA GO BOOM BOOM๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ’ฅ

sarah white
​Lunaaaaa

Pizza on Pineapple
​OMG STALLING

pool811
​Let's gooooooo

12:59 am -- Looks like a lot of folks assuming a scrub for tonight (well, actually, this early morning).

1:01 am -- The T-minus 10-minutes counter is off the screen. Here's an explanation in chat from NASA: The pre-launch hold built into the countdown has been extended. When a new T-0 is available it will be shared immediately.

1:03 am -- Just about the time the countdown would have been started, I guess. How's the crowd feel?

Shutupcreeper1
​face-orange-frowning

Rocky73680
​So when is the launch?

SoyAndrik
​๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด

Trollseeder
​WAMAN IS IMPORTANTER

Andrew Cline
​So we are FINALLY going to the moon?

Suneel K
​elbowcough

Eugene Scrubs
​if it launches now then it would probably explode

Ace TheOcarinaMaker
​It could be any time in these next 2 hours. Not this very moment.

Don Corleone
​Join 24/7 Flat Earth Discord!!!

barri nasution
​launch it NOW

Jalal Sardar
​we're going! Lets goooo!

Captain Popcat
​Let’s go!!!!

Lachie Nicholson
​hopefully they fix the leak

BobdeBuilder
​OUR TAX DOLLLLLLLARRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

_Paolodeangelis_ _
​Can't wait for the lauch ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น❤

Stiles
​I'm watching history ๐Ÿ’€

Capsen Lu
​don't tell me it's going to delay again.

JuanMendoza 21
​help

1:07 am -- Chat is rather tame. They're all just anxious about the thing getting going. I can't blame them, this is my second time watching and waiting for this thing to go off.

1:09 am -- Dude started a cool animated presentation of what the rocket will be going through after launch:





1:18 am -- Tryin' to stay up but I've gotten two nights of poor sleep due to insomnia, possibly attributed to my new Jardiance med. Need to get at least 5 hours of sleep so, I'll wait just a bit longer.

1:22 am -- More chit-chat with the crazy night owl crowds sitting out on the stands, maybe it's at the KSC Visitor's Center viewing stands where I was when I filmed this launch. Chat's gettin' disenchanted:

Nitin Ojha
​when will it launch?

Carlos Aragรณn
​๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

Hatem M
​when is the launch?

mouldyfrog
​yoooooooooooo

Reno Golsteijn
​clap dem alien cheeks

JimBob
​another place to pollute great

Robert Bettinelli
​Where is the ETA?

Black_leVrai2.0
​I wanna go too sleep

Vinyl
​๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿ’จ๐Ÿ’จ๐Ÿ’จ

Rob Gustin
​Try turning it off and the back on. Recharge the Illuduim Q-36 Space Modulator. Come on NASA. Stop wasting our time. N. Korea is laughing at us.

Not Cthulhu
​Where's the moon NASA? WHERE ARE YOU HIDING IT?!

Chris Gasque
​Gonna be awkward to reroll all these clips on the next launch day.

TheMikecito
​Fool me once...

ร–mer Koca
​go go go to moon ๐ŸŒ 

Karl Angelo Alipin
​too much DRAMA

Guest.
​sorry guys someone mom said to pause the game

Lucia Paoli
​buongiorno da Italia

Sivar Turismo
​El Salvador is waiting

1:29 am -- Announcing that they may be about three and a half minutes away from polling something or other. Not sure what it means. Saying at 3:04 am, window would close so if no launch before then, then it'll be postponed.

1:33 am -- Dude says "There are no constraints to launch." So I guess that's good, right?


1:35 am -- "EGS Officer: Go for launch, Range weather: Go for Launch, Mission Manager: Go to proceed with terminal count. Launch Director: Go to enter count and launch Artemis 1."


1:39 am -- T-Minus 8-Minutes and counting!!!! Here we go, boys!!! To the moon, Alice!!!

1:41 am -- Peanut Gallery?:

X GOF X
​ohhhhh yeah!!!!

Matthew Qiu
​I WAS HERE

Steve RH
​go go go!

rosylaine
​I WAS HERE LADS

Some Random Nerd.
​FLY US TO THE MOON

Tuldudos
​i was here too guys, vai brazilian!

ไผ่ชฌใฎF15J
​้ ‘ๅผตใ‚Œ~!๐ŸŽŒ

Kshounish Bhadra-Bhaduri
​I was here!! Godspeed 07

Nuttarat P
​i was here!

Donna Hyson
​good luck ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ

mordido
​I was here! ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท

Ols325
​to the moon

German Vela
​๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

Gordon Sarratt
​this is unbeliavable that they goin back to the moon and were here to see it

Window
​T - 7 MINUTES

MikeAnnarose
​can't imagine how the Apollo generation felt

hadesX
​I WAS HERE

Lost Plague
​Lets goooo!! :D

Mahima perera
​here we go!

Its_TG_Fury 1
​Numa numa

L L
​to the moonnn

Artemis Gaming
​GO ME!!!

LiquidxMusic
​I was here <3

Mouton Binoclard
​I was here

Mike Herold
​History….

BuLR
​Go Artemis

Dampestfrog
​love you alll

Cesar Alvarez
​Dios. Bendiga. La. humanidad. saludos

่˜‡็ซ‹
​God speed

Abuzar Hussain
​๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€

S. E. C-R
​So exciting! I might happen

ChaoticSquidKid
​I WAS HERE FOR THIS

ะ•ะณะพั€ ะŸะตั€ะพะฒ
​i was here

robbygraham03
​Whooooo

To
​i was here

ใ‚ˆใ‚Š
​๐ŸŒ

lay blue
​go go go

Pere Sadarrat
​vinga va Artemis. Canya!!

TheBlueBlazes
​I was here

1:42 am -- T-Minus 5-Minutes!

1:45 am -- T-Minus 2-Minutes!!

1:48 am -- T-Minus 1-Minute!!!

Farm Jar Hแป‰ll
​TO THE MOON WITH LUCYY!!!!!! ❤ ❤ ❤

shinevision sv
​good luck

scaled and spicy
​I WAS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

First name Last name
​GO TEAM ARTEMIS

randomwuo0
​I WAS HEREEEEEEEEEEE LETS GOOOOOOOOOO

Gatran Lenggana
​YESSS

Johannes
​so pro

Arri Gras
​Godspeed

Benjamin Salada
​I am here!

Alfzplx
​W

Redon Gjergji
​Oo bossa

Gayle Mahabir
​Woohoo

Joel Ranger James
​Chur

Coleman Campbell
​WOOOOOO

C Mula
​lada niva bro, icnodent to the moon2

Idk
​I was here

Promen
​yeah

Fahd Abiyyi
​I was here

Kiki Tay
​Kiki Tay was here!

Damaris Carlos
​i was here

NicoAW
​I WAS HERE

1:48 am -- LAUNCH!!!!!


1:50 am -- I just went outside and saw it IN THE SKY!!! Here's my best photo:


The brightest dot is the moon. The rocket is the smaller dot to the "southwest" of the moon. You can also just about see a bit of the smoke trail beneath the rocket. Mind you, this is a cellphone picture from Sebring, 89 miles away from KSC. I could see it much better with my naked eyes.

2:04 am -- Much applause, speeches and tie-cutting being done at Mission Control! Kudos, NASA! Now I have the challenge of getting to sleep after this rousing launch!