New (Old) Found Fixation

 

I mentioned this simple yet addicting web game called Triviador back in 2015 in this post when I originally found and was mesmerized by it. Back then, I played it for a few months and then I guess I just got distracted and forgot all about it until early last month when I stumbled upon it again.

I guess most people still playing this game chose to do so on their mobile devices but I still cling to the old ways, don't ya know. Based on the fact that I tend to answer speed round questions much faster on average than any of my opponents, I think the simple Flash interface via a direct internet connection gives me a significant advantage. Plus I'm good at trivia, of course, and I can speed read so that helps a lot.

The game is a simple multiplayer format. Three waiting contestants are (randomly?) drawn by the game's algorithm and thrown together on a map. In my case, I play Triviador USA so the map is, as you'd expect, the US. Each contestant competes for "territory" giving them more points to gain over the other two. There's a bit of strategy as to what territories and which opponents to target but basically two main skills are essential. Trivia knowledge, of course, and speed. Managing the power-ups called "boosters" is important too as they can greatly mean the difference in tough-question situations or when the other guys are ganging up on you.

I play every few hours or so. You only earn so much "battle points" so you can't simply play non-stop forever...unless you want to pay, of course. Like many games like this, you are given opportunities to buy more time and boosters with real money, if you choose. Or, like me, you can just play for free (albeit sops without Ad Blocker have to endure sideline ads).

Last week, I came in 7th place in the world among all top tier (Triviadors) players of the USA version. I'm currently in 4th place but the ranking competition restarts each week and we're only a couple days in (it doesn't go by a calendar week).

It's a great way to pass the time in this Age of Covid. With that going on still and having no job and virtually no friends, I think I have yet another advantage against my fellow players. Ah well, so be it. At least I'm a success at something.