Total Eclipse Of The Heart

So in exactly one year I'll hopefully be somewhere in the Heartland witnessing this once in a lifetime event. I posted about it here a few years ago when the year 2017 sounded so unimaginably futuristic. Well now it's almost here, don't ya know.

Like the poster says, its a full solar eclipse which will last up to almost 3 minutes in some locations. I'm shooting for somewhere around Nashville, Tennessee or Hopkinsville, Illinois. The latter location is also home to an annual celebration, conducted around this time of year, honoring some long ago alleged extraterrestrial invasion in the area. Hopefully they'll combine the two events.

The last time a full eclipse occurred over the continental US was back in 1979 and Maine was one of the locations of totality. If my parents had been a little more intelligent and wanted to treat us kids to a great scientific event, they could have planned an easy day trip there for us. I somewhat remember that we were able to see a partial eclipse from our home in Rhode Island so I guess I didn't totally miss out.

I'll make up for it next year though and plan a nice week-long vacation in the area.

EDIT: I'm wrong. The 79 eclipse was only over the Pacific Northwest in the US, The one closest to RI was back in 1970...that's the one I remember all the hype about. The Maine eclipse, as referenced in the book Dolores Claiborne was in 1963, a year before I was born.