Shootin' For 2017

I recently found out that in 2017 the US will experience its first total solar eclipse in decades. What's more, it'll traverse the span of the country from Oregon to South Carolina providing ample opportunity to chose whatever vantage point you'd like throughout the various states it'll affect.

Man, I want to see this.

Much more dramatic than a partial eclipse, a total eclipse is when the moon totally obscures the sun, allowing for a 2 minute viewing of the darkened disk that was the sun, surrounded by its glowing corona, visible with the naked eye. The temperature is affected, dropping as much as 35 degrees, and the surrounding landscape is thrown suddenly into night. Photo-sensor lights come on, street lights illuminate, even the stars come out and the world is turned on its head, if only for a minute or two, in the middle of what is otherwise an ordinary day.

Oh, yes, I want to experience this.

It seems to me that the best viewing area would be Nashville, Tennessee.

So I'll mark my calendar for that date and location.

I guess I'll start saving now for this vacation. It may take that long to save up enough.