See, What Did I Tell You?

 


So I bought it last night at 9 pm, tried to install it and it immediately complained there wasn't enough room on my hard drive. Oh Lordy. Went and uninstalled a few oldies that I hardly ever play and tried again. Ok, fine, it starts downloading via my decidedly sketchy Xfinity "600 mbps" connection and it takes four hours to install. Alas though, by 1:30 am I'm up and running, creating my character, Cozmorio Starwrangler, and setting out amongst the stars to make my fame and fortune -- or at least try and not get killed too many times. Before you know it, one session, my ass is sore, I finally log out and I have 7.5 hours under my belt... or, 7.5 hours of time sucked from my real life, as sardonic non-player types might see it. Meh. It's my life so, there you go.

First impressions? I don't know what all the bitching has been about. Yes, there has been a ton of cry baby bois complaining non-stop about this game since its launch back in '23. Maybe then it had some glaring flaws that broke it for most people, but frankly, I don't find any problems with it at all. It runs great with high graphics settings on my budget Mildred, combat is fun and the enemy AI is really good IMHO, the movement from planet to planet is either fast travel style instant jump screen or the new Free Lanes which allow you to actually "fly" through space to and fro. Frankly, I find that boring so I don't have an issue with just insta-warping. It's not "real space" people. You're not missing out. It's all a computer simulation. Deal with it. The story so far is engaging. The visuals are impressive. The music and sound effects are great. I think it's well worth $30.

So now I have 3 time suck new games I just picked up in the last few weeks and debate which to load up each time I sit at my desk. Which, is to say, each time I'm awake. Ugh. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, yes, I did pull myself away from the 'puter for an hour or so to do my lawn yesterday morning so my neighbors will have a pretty sight to gaze upon as they peer curiously over to my house when they hear sounds of booming music and effects emanating from inside. "Is he on some video game player, that fool? Why don't he act his age?" I'll never grow old when it comes to gaming, man! Never!