SCRAPBOOK: Koyo Gold And Cold

 


As you may know, I often do what I call Google Maps Street View Tourism. It's where I simply zoom into a place and check out a location as if "I'm there" and look around to see what there is to be seen. At least according to the Street View car and its cameras when they took the latest shot of that place. But there's also "See more dates" where you can even "go back in time" to see previous Street View images, if they exist, of that same spot. But there's also the fact that it's a great tool to revisit old haunts that would otherwise be difficult to visit in person. This brings me to this above image and this post.

I got to thinking back tonight about the olden days when drinking was not just a casual once in a blue moon thing. It was a "I need a fix" thing that required a regular and easy-to-get-to source, preferably a little place one could get cheap 12-packs, plentiful and ready, quick and no questions asked. I had to have me my "product." My "glug glug juice." Beer that is. Bright gold and ice cold.

At the height of Koyo (You know Koyo. You read "The Chronicles, right? No? Well they're listed chapter by chapter right there on the side right there -----> ) there was Pelican Discount Beverages. A hop, skip and stumble down the street from Cypress Springs aka The Palmetto Bug Arms. The Indian guy that manned this place (I guess, the owner since he was always there) surely knew me as one of his most frequent regulars yet he hardly said boo in the way of any greetings or small talk. Just as well. I was there for one thing only, and it wasn't chit chat. He sold it cheap, cold and fast, just the way I liked it.

Well here's the place now. Don't know if he moved his store elsewhere or just retired so he doesn't have to jibber jabber with customers anymore.