I have such a huge library of games that I sometimes forget what I have and I don't realize a hidden gem in the pile. Such is the case with Just Cause 3. I picked this one up years ago. I know I got it on sale so it was a bit after its publish year of 2015. Yes, this is an eleven year old game. And you know what, it holds up pretty damned well to this day.
Its open world feel is like GTA 5 complete with fun side quests that have nothing to do with the main plot but add a lot to the fun of it all. This game is loved in the community for its "player agency" and I have to admit, that's a huge plus in my book. I get very bored of games that pigeon hole you down a narrow path or restrict your access to almost everything good unless you do job A, B and C first. Here, you pretty much have, at least from what I'm experiencing in my first 10 hours or so, everything you need. Grappling hook included.
And this awesome Spider-Man tool right here is what elevates this to "next level." Now the "anti-grav" gun from Gary's Mod and used in games like Wolfenstein is cool and all but I tell you, when like in that Nazi-killing game I just mentioned, they give you a physics defying tool and let you "have at it," they make you pay for it by ramping up the difficulty to some 13-year-old thumb-twitchin' Monster drink guzzlin' FPS freak who came outta his Momma's womb with an XBOX controller in his hand. I'm an old skool PC gamer that plays using KBM... that's keyboard and mouse, Baby! That makes all those complicated multitask moves super difficult having to need twenty fingers to hold shift-alt-cntrl-up arrow-w-F4-wave the keyboard around and Mouse 2, 1, and the scroll wheel all at the same fucking time! But, the saving grace is in aiming. I can aim like a mother fucker. Try aiming like I do with your "top hat" or "Toggle switch" or whatever they call that dohicky on your controller. They're good though... they grew up with it. I suck at controller aiming. But mouse work? Oh yeah, I'm there.
So I've been on the island of Medici for the past few days. And I have a lot more freedom to spread, if you know what I mean. That's right. Tethering cows to windmills, just to see them fly. Oh, and killin' the dictator's troops as well, of course. I'm the champion of the people. Viva La Revolution!
