Twenty Years On YouTube

 


As I remarked in the previous post, I noticed that it was just about the twentieth anniversary of my YouTube channel. The channel name is "cozmorio" though I informally call it Cinema Cozmorio on the header I designed for the channel page. Of course it's an allusion to the great Italian film Cinema Paradiso which maybe no one but me gets. Alas, I'm quite used to shit only I get. Like, perhaps, this video montage I've created for this anniversary celebration.

Since most of my usage of YouTube over the years has arguably been following the mainly vlog-form videos of other YouTubers, peeking like a stalker into their private lives (that they willingly film for all of us to see), I focused on these YouTuber "pioneers." They are pioneers of course if you consider the medium to be relatively in its infancy, all things considered. All of us content creators are. My folks are quite the eclectic bunch though, I must admit, which is why I think many who view this might not "get it." Some people they may recognize, like Adam the Woo in the thumbnail, of course, and gamer types would surely spot a very young and pre-Pewdiepie-shoutout Jack Septiceye, when I watched him back in the day. But Renetto and the subject of yesterday's post, Zipster? Only if you remember a pre-Google takeover YouTube back in the mid-aughts. Their "fame" was quite the "15 minutes" indeed. So many others are my Quirkymen and assorted other oddball vloggers I've followed over the years. They may only mean something to me and for most people, they wouldn't even ping on their radar.

Do I still follow these vlogger types like I used to? Well, many of them have "gone Hollywood" and I've lost interest. YouTube money, if you can make it, can do that to you and your once down-to-earth content. Many of the mundane ones become, well, frankly... mundane. Same old same old. I still check in from time to time, but my jam these days seems to be devoted mainly to watching police bodycam channels and all the crime and mayhem they capture, as well as the vast, ever revolving library of free movies and TV shows available. Premium ain't cheap, brother. It's about $18 a month, but considering the quantity of time I spend on it, I get my money's worth for sure.

So, without further ado, allow me to introduce to you, in no particular chronological order, the many faces of YouTube: