The Good Binge

 


Yes, yes, I know. It seems I tend to binge these old as fuck TV shows that have been off the air for years. But isn't that the point, in a way, of bingeing? I mean, one of the things I hate about watching shows that are in current production is the fact that you have to wait, sometimes achingly long between seasons for a complete vision of what the show, in its entirety, is really all about. Plus, waiting a few years after the buzz has died off avoids, for the most part, the problem of stumbling accidentally all over spoilers everywhere you look about the show because people won't keep shit on the DL, they just be blurting shit out, yo! Like, for instance, yes, of course, even though I'm only on the fifth episode of the first season, I already knew, going in, that at the end of this season, there's a big reveal -- the good place ain't really good, if you know what I mean. That twist's been spoilt for years now.

But I still don't know the basics. Like, well, what the "fork" is this place anyway? Why are they here? Who is Michael, really? So this will be a surprise when these mysteries are slowly revealed, if indeed they are. Or is this gonna be LOST and we're just going to be lead astray for the whole four seasons? IDK, I guess I'll find out. 

I like the machine gun one liners and non-sequiturs, I like the look of the show, I like the actors, I like the storyline pacing, though, of course, they are being a bit elusive with things. Now, for the things I don't really dig -- well, it's on Peacock, so there's the three hundred commercials per episode! And a disturbing number of commercials are about feminine hygiene products like lady razors shaving pubic hair (and showing it!) and tampons with red liquid to show absorption (what the forkin' hell!). Plus, this was a network TV show, NBC, during its original incarnation and, well, when put next to some of the usual stuff I watch produced by Apple or HBO, um, it's a tad pale. But so far, it's as palatable as the million-flavored frozen yogurt they eat readily and I'm okay with that. (Of course if you're dead and calories don't matter anymore, why the fork you wouldn't have real ice cream is beyond me?)

I knew right away that I wasn't the only person to make the connection between the premise of this show and the game THE SIMS. I mean, it's almost a perfect representation of it. And, I was going to do a SIMS CREATION of the characters and Eleanor's kooky house but, naturally, it's been done years ago already by others, and, quite competently too, I might add, as evidenced by the screenshot above of someone's SIMS 4 family they made of the main players. And, below, is another person's version of that kooky house:


Not gonna lie, the commercials are killin' me. I usually only watch movies on Peacock since they are mostly gentle in their commercial massacres of them, especially Universal films they want to promote. But these TV shows, NBC broadcast shows especially. Ugh. Also, the elusive and obfuscating plot is understandable, considering, knowing already what's coming, but I wonder, after they spend their wad in a few more episodes from now, what sustains the rest of the three other seasons? Yes, yes, I'm sure if you've already seen and loved this show, as I've already glimpsed there's an avid fan base on Reddit, you're going "Oh, you'll see..." with all due grins and giggles. And if I can make it through all the forking bullsheet and just enjoy it for what it is, I guess then, I will.