What's "flip clock" you say?
I lived it for at least a full seven years and three months when I worked at Lakewood. I'm not sure if I called it that, but it's what I've labeled "a lifestyle where one lives as if they are abiding by the daily schedule of a person living on the other side of the planet." Like on the flip side of the Earth, the folks there, right now, are doing things according to the clock on their walls, and it's totally 12 hours in opposition to our clocks.
Example: Right now, as I type this post, it's 1:05 am Eastern Time here in Florida, USA. But, if I take a peek at the World Time Zones map, or simply ask Google, I can see that in, for instance, Singapore, it is exactly 1:06 pm (because it took me a minute to look it up). So that means in Singapore, right now, people are out and about in the sunshine which, also according to Google is mostly sunny and 88° F (gee, not too bad... it's 81° F here right now in the middle of the night!) and they are at work, some still at lunch perhaps, etc. But here in Florida, and the rest of the Eastern USA, most people are sleeping.
But I'm living the Flip Clock life right now so I'm living like a Singaporian. (Is that the term? I don't think so.)
Why? I kind of "had to" to avoid being tired all the time when I worked at Lakewood since it was an awake overnight position, but I'm retired... there's no reason to live the Flip Clock life?
Well, as hinted in the temps above, it's the middle of our hot-as-fuck season here in Central Florida and at 1:00 pm, in about 12 hours, the forecast is for temps of 92° with a heat index of 102° so I'm not going out anywhere. It rains everyday and often those thunderstorms knock out my internet, if not my lights, for at least a few minutes, thus pissing me off if I'm watching a movie or browsing the web or shit. In the middle of the night, there's less chance of thunderstorms, so usually uninterrupted internet. Simple as that. Add to that the lack of little slightly irritating ambient noises outside like May-May's doggies yapping or NoFu's fidgeting around, or just knowing that people are milling about out there living their lives. I'd rather be doing my thing while they sleep soundly like sugar plums all nestled in their beds, and I'll snore away while they do their thing in the blaze balls sunshine.
Besides. as I've noted in this post, many times I wonder if I've ever left my job, really. I think I've just taken on a new facility, this being the Lakeside Village Asylum of Wacko Retirees. And I have to watch over them, in the middle of the night, lest they, well, get out of hand...
