Hanora Lippitt Haunts Me Still

 

Earlier tonight my YouTube feed tempted me to click on the thumbnail of a video titled "Under $10,000" for what looked like a double wide mobile home of a much newer model than mine located in Venice, Florida; a decidedly more interesting town being right on the Gulf Coast and having plenty of restaurants and attractions. I played it and soon found out what the big catch was...of course, it was the lot rent. 

They dare to want $1,200 a month. And you know it likely doesn't stop there. If they have the gall to charge that, they probably also have the pass through property tax BS like this place does, plus the sewer, water, and garbage charges. The place looked well manicured and landscaped so it probably also included mandatory landscaping fees and, who knows, maybe even a HOA fee thrown on top of it all. 

I mean, the video showed the interior and exterior of this home as being practically brand new and fully remodeled with a few little issues here and there but nothing that would warrant a price of the same caliber as my home with many cosmetic and functionality issues which would naturally keep its price nestled in the very, very low five figures if even that. 

Yes it is an issue here in Florida and has been for a while where people throw up their hands in the air and practically give away their mobile homes because park management has raised lot rates to outrageous levels. Well for me, above all other concerns, this is the number one financial nightmare that haunts me on a year to year basis now that I'm in my fixed income retirement phase. 

After savoring the flavor of my lifestyle as it is now, much like the Harris campaign, my Mantra is the same, "There's No Going Back!" I'm not going to work to pay high lot rent. And I'm certainly not going to put myself at the age of 60 through the blood sweat and tears of trying to compete with whatever is out there to get a full-time job befitting my experience where I would be paid a more than adequate wage so that I can enter the good old rat race again so I can sell this low income dwelling and move myself back up into the middle class since now we're talking I'd have to live back in a city like Orlando and pay rents in the neighborhood of $2,000 to $3,000 a month! 

So if this park management goes crazy, as there are some slight indications that they might, like the one in that video that I watched, I guess I have two options: Sell this trailer and Hulk, add in some $15,000 or so from the IRA for a bulk of cash to buy a decent van to outfit into a boondocking full-time live-in RV, or live in low-income housing for the elderly, like...

Hanora Lippitt

Ah, here we go again!

I tried to get an idea of what a unit there would cost and it didn't give a dollar amount of course. It only says that if a person qualifies under the, I guess federal housing assistance program, I forget what it's called, it doesn't matter, in any event it would be 30% of your income. And it covers rent, electricity, heat, and hot water. I don't know why it puts heat and hot water as separate items other than I guess it's just broken down that way? I already got a glimpse of a photo of a stove in one of the units there and it does look like they have electric stoves, but I'm pretty sure they would have gas heat. You'd be insane to have electric heat in New England.

Yes I did a bit of research today and after a bit of digging I found out that apparently I wouldn't be the only Elder Gay at Hanora Lippitt.

Meet Bill. He's over 80, was in hotel management in Boston in the seventies and eighties, moved to Woonsocket in the late '80s, and oddly enough, as you can see in the photos below, I think we'd get along quite well. 

Here he is eating the same #4 Lunch Special, his favorite as it is mine, at Chan's!


Here he's gettin' ready for a night out to a musical in downtown Providence!


He, like me, loves history...


Here he is back in the day (his day, that is, the early 70s) with his gaggle and hag...


He likes to go out to a local amateur wrestling event on a regular basis...I can see why...


And here he is with his artworks in his Hanora Lippitt apartment, on the 5th floor. Right next to my future apartment...


Yes I know already. We're going to be best friends! Only friends mind you, we're well beyond the age of any funny business of course. Now hopefully we can make some catty and perhaps rather thirsty comments under our breath to each other when we watch that wrestler boy moving his little tush in the ring.

Oh, and I checked. His last name is definitely not Ballou.