Ding Dong: Three Packages

 

And I guess all three of them are in this picture although only two can be seen.

They arrived today, ordered a couple days ago from Amazon. Well, two of the items were ordered, one was not.

First, is the brass pendant that ended up costing me only 6 cents. With tax it came to a little over $8. I bought it with my AmEx and I had Rewards applied which brought the total amount owed to just six cents. Cool beans! I love this since it's a compass rose indicating my love for travel and geography and my ever-present optimism that there's always something wonderous and amazing over every horizon. Plus, if you look really close, there's a little fleur-de-lis detail as a nod to my French heritage.

Second, the pendant is lying on a new comforter. It's much lighter and airier than the heavy down comforter I've been using and sometimes burdened with on hot summer nights. Not sure why I waited till almost the end of summer to get a summery comforter but oh well better late than never. And the price? 17 bucks! Quality is better than anything from Walmart too. Well I say that now but we'll see after a few nights of using it. The big test with these cheaper comforters is pilling.

And finally the third package. I didn't order it. I didn't expect it. I didn't pay for it. And I don't want it. But I apparently got it anyway.

I haven't been out of the house in a couple of days so I haven't been in contact with any other human beings or any other living things, really, other than maybe some of the vegetation and perhaps little insect life living in my yard as I mowed my front lawn the day before yesterday.

But I guess the postal worker lady is a human being. And I saw her as she pulled away after delivering my packages. She didn't look any worse for wear but maybe she's asymptomatic. Or maybe she's just dealing with it. The question is, what is it?

That's right. I'm feeling the unmistakable tinge of something in the back of my throat. I haven't felt this in a few years. That's right, other than that one night of weird chills and cold symptoms that disappeared the next day last October and a nasty sinus infection which was likely bacterial that started in the fall of 2022 subsided a bit and then reoccurred in the other nasal cavity in the spring of 2023, I don't think I've had a legitimate cold since 2019.

As I'm dictating this post, it's only the mild sore throat right now and it's been a couple of hours since I first started feeling it so I'm not sure if this is another false alarm like last fall or if it's the start of something else. I still have those Covid test kits so if symptoms get worse I'll be swabbing myself.

Well I'm wearing my little pendant for good luck. Perhaps it will guide me like compass roses guided old time Navigators on mysterious Journeys across perilous Seas. Otherwise...

Farewell and adieu to ye Fair Spanish Ladies
Farewell and adieu to ye Ladies of Spain
For I've received orders for to sail back to Boston
And so Nevermore shall we see you again

EDIT: Sometimes a slight sore throat is just a slight sore throat. And it clears up in less than a day. No Covid here folks. Move along. Go find yer dead bodies elsewhere.