Sixty At Sixty

 

So I'll never be some hoity-toity Harmonia Gardens-worthy self-made man like Horace Vandergelder, noted half a millionaire, respected hay and feed merchant from Yonkers, I'm satisfied enough to have recently hit a personal financial milestone.

After years of watching my mutual funds in my former 403b and current retirement IRA take its roller coaster ride on the S&P 500, and despite having already dipped into the cookie jar to extract a few crumbs, as you can see in the graphic below, I hit 60 at 60.

That is, the balance of my IRA on June 17th hit $60,139.67, then rose to $60,387.08 on the 21st, only to slide a little bit back, but that's okay, the important thing is, I touched that ever elusive 60K. And at the age of 60 years old.

Now, truth be told, I had hit 60K before. Back when someone else was in the White House. But throughout '22 it sank like a rock. Who's to blame? Oh I guess we blame it on Covid, right?

Anyway, will I hit 60 again soon? Well for the sharp-eyed folks, you may have noticed that I had already put in a sale order for $2,500 and it's sitting there in the money market section of my account for me to transfer over to my checking account today. So not accounting for gains or losses by the end of business today the account will be down to $57,006.99. I've seen gains make up for my withdrawals before and that may happen again. Or it may not.

In just one query just now, I pulled up these two rather interesting predictions published on the same day. Yet another indication we live in a very polarized world where in fact, I wholly believe, nobody knows what the fuck they're doing anymore.