Better Than $500 A Year

 

About a year ago, me and a couple of Benjamins we're able to convince that odd kid Misha to take up lawn care for me. Spring had come and gone basically and the only work done on my lawn had last been done in February of last year by the disappearing Jovani soon after I'd paid him. Other than sad attempts of me trying to use a manual reel push mower and my weak corded weed trimmer that I kept tripping over, of course. 

I equated Misha's return to a knight in shining armor coming to save me and my pitiful lawn from the evil encroachment of the weeds, not to mention the bougainvillea which had grown to enormous proportions threatening to engulf the front of the house. 

Well now with Misha essentially joining Jovani in the Nowhere Man world, I've been forced to deal with Connie and her minion. First mow, about a month ago she charged 25 bucks and told me to pay it at the office. Well she's never at the office and getting her on the phone is more difficult than trying to reach the president of the United States. 

Figuring it might appear on my account I was prepared to pay it with my lot rent but it wasn't there. In a way I kind of figured it wouldn't be. I kind of don't think the lawn care service provided by her and her minion are legit offered by the management company. 

Well we'll probably see today since I did reach her earlier this week asking if she would send the dude out to do another pass, to which on the phone she said basically no problem. two days later, the dude shows up on his riding mower, the same one Misha used to use, but instead of doing my lawn, he hands me that janky looking maintenance notice slip that they used pretty religiously a couple years ago. On it, it reminded me in bold handwriting that I owed $25 for the last mow, and that if I wanted another round of lawn and shrub care it would be 20 bucks for the lawn and another 20 for the bushes. 40 bucks a pop is a little high. We're finally getting back into the afternoon rain showers thing so the grass and bougainvillea will need trimming at least every 3 weeks, if not sooner. 

I plan on meeting with her today if she deems to show up at the office. I'll pay the $65, but I'm going to hand her that check with a look similar to Mr. Baram in 1980 as he declared my services would no longer be needed. Oh but will she take a check written out to the management company?

This chick Connie rubs me the wrong way. There's just something about her. And I've never even met her. The phone tag business, the way she lied to me in January 2023 regarding the clog near the sewer line and how it would be compensated and dealt with, both of which never happened, and just the general way she talks on the phone like she's just a temp filling in for the day. I've decided I'm not going to deal with her anymore especially regarding this lawn care shit.

Now, hopefully to the rescue, I should receive in a couple of weeks a package from Amazon. As pictured above, a brand new battery charged electric lawn mower. It cost $150 with tax so I don't expect some massive John Deere golf course beast. It'll be some tiny, mostly plastic thing made in China, no doubt. For the few clumps of weeds that compose my postage stamp lawn, it should be enough. I don't want to deal with a gas mower and a corded mower sounds like a recipe for me running it over the cord. As far as the bougainvillea, it takes a bit of elbow grease but if I get out early in the morning before it gets too warm, and keep at it regularly rather than let it go until the branches are 8 ft. long, I should be able to maintain them with my manual hedge trimmer shears.

Reviews on Amazon seem to be pretty good for this unit, the only common complaint seems to be that the battery runs out before they finish their lawn. Well I guess that's for normal lawns. Expect to take no more than 15 minutes, front to back.

Like they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself.