Five Years In The Shamrock Shack

 

The Ides of March. On this date in 2019, I shook hands with Reagan Ball, handed him a check, and drove into town with his wife Lisa to the DMV to transfer the title over to me.

Within a couple of weeks, I officially moved in here, and I've been here ever since. Some days, it seems, and is actually true, I never actually leave here either. Such is my hermit life here in the shack on the not-so-vast estate I call Shamrock Inches.

By my reckoning, this home wins the award for the longest duration I've stayed in one place since living with my parents as a teenager. Here's a little rundown of all the places I've called home as an adult over the years and the length of time of my stay.

Bradford St., Woonsocket, RI                                                                                                           
4 mos.

Park Ave., Woonsocket, RI                                                                                                                
2 yrs.

Apollo Rd., East Providence, RI                                                                                                 
4 yrs.

Logee St., Woonsocket, RI                 
2 yrs.

Rosebank Ave., Providence, RI          
4 yrs. 9 mos.

Duke St., Providence, RI  
4 mos.

Lake Fountain Dr., Orlando, FL
4 mos.

Northlake Blvd., Altamonte Springs, FL 
5 mos.

Spinnaker Dr., Orlando, FL 
1 yr. 7 mos.

Lee Rd., Orlando, FL  
2 yrs. 3 mos.

Park Central Dr., Orlando, FL  
2 yrs. 2 mos.

Reflections Cir. (1), Casselberry, FL     
2 mos.

N. Rendon St., New Orleans, LA    
1.5 mos.

N. Dorgenois St. (1), New Orleans, LA    
1.5 mos.

St. Peter St., New Orleans, LA   
1 mo.

Reflections Cir. (2), Casselberry, FL    
2 mos.

S. Elsasser St., DeLand, FL    
1 mo.

N. Dorgenois St. (2), New Orleans, LA   
2 mos.

Spain St. (1), New Orleans, LA   
1 mo.

Reflections Cir. (3) , Casselberry, FL
1 mo.

Hidden Meadows Loop, Fern Park, FL   
7 mos.

Spain St. (2), New Orleans, LA   
5 mos.

Sun Lake Cir., Lake Mary, FL   
4 mos.

Helmsley Ct., Lake Mary, FL   
2 yrs. 2 mos.

S. High St., Lake Mary, FL    
3 yrs. 5 mos.

S. Semoran Blvd., Orlando, FL   
3 yrs. 7 mos.

Sunshadow Dr., Casselberry, FL
4 yrs. 5 mos.

Skyview St., Sebring, FL    
5 yrs.

So is this it? Is this my forever home as they say? Well that's my plan. Will it come to fruition? Time will tell. At least I do plan to stay here. I don't think I could say that for any other place I've ever lived. I've always left room for change and change was always inevitable, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

But I truly acknowledge my retirement status now. And my level of humility. My poverty. And my isolation.

So happy anniversary home sweet home. Indeed, be it ever so humble...