The "How'd I Miss This?" Binge

 

Now I haven't totally been living under a rock. I mean I have definitely heard of these guys, and I do remember seeing them when they were on Mad TV which I used to watch pretty regularly back in the 90s, but for some reason, their show Key & Peele came and passed totally under my radar.

It's probably the fact that I haven't had traditional cable since around 2011 or so, apparently just before their show debuted on Comedy Central.

And I do remember the bit where during one of his last White House Correspondents' Dinners, President Obama had Keegan play his role as the "Anger Translator" to riotous laughter. For some reason though, I thought that the character had been a throwback to Mad TV, not the Comedy Central show that had then still been on the air.

So earlier this week I was flipping through the homepage of Netflix and noticed that they had the first three seasons of this show and figured I'd give it a go. OMG, I'm so sad I missed this when it was relatively new. No matter, I'm making up for it now. Even though Netflix only has the first three seasons, I believe I can catch all the episodes of the last two seasons on YouTube.

So far I've watched through the first season and I just started the second. My favorite skits so far are the inner-city, very-less-endowed-than-Hogwarts, Wizarding School, the Bobby McFerrin vs. Michael Knight sound effects battle, the dueling Magical Negroes, and the no-nonsense veteran of inner-city schools substitute teacher who pronounces typical white names like Jaqueline (J' Qua' Lynn), Blake (B' Lac Ay) and Aaron (A A Ron) with a certain distinct flair. From what I've read, the hilarity has just begun and there are going to be even funnier episodes as I watch more.

Why are they still not doing this? Why was the show only carried for five seasons? I read that it was a mutual decision on their part, not that they were canceled for low ratings. My guess is like so many other awesome comic duos of the past, they developed quote unquote creative differences. But they're not as admitting as such and still make appearances here and there. 

Maybe like Dave Chappelle, who of course they are highly emulating, to the point where, as I see it, I would consider them Dave Chappelle light, they may make a comeback? Maybe when Michelle Obama becomes president soon? You know if that ever happens, she'll need the both of them as her anger translators.