The Final Countdown

 

We're in the home stretch now. It's the final countdown. As of today, according to my calculations, we're exactly 28 months, or, 2 years and 4 months away from true benefit earning retirement.

As you can see from the graph below provided by the Social Security Administration, the current estimate of what I'll be able to claim as a monthly income as of May 2026 will be $1,245.

Here's a very simple and conservative estimated budget based on expectations of that time.




Social Security income $1,245.

IRA distributions $250

Total income $1,445

Lot rent $600.

Car insurance $65.

Auto repairs, gas, etc. $50.

Health insurance and medications $50,

Electricity $150.

Internet and streaming subscriptions $150.

Phone $35.

Food $300.

Total expenses $1,400.

Gulp.

This is a bit tight to say the least.

I have a feeling under this level of poverty I guess it really would be the final countdown since once the IRA dries up and the other monthly expenses creep up I doubt I'd be able to make it to the 30s decade.