Gettin' Shit Done, Y'all

 


Weather was really nice today. It actually got up to 80, finally, after so many weeks of frigid temps. So I threw some outdoor big boy pants on and got started on the big project I've been hankerin' to do for months, nay, years now... my shed roof. 

I bought a 10 gallon bucket of cheap flat white paint from Lowe's probably about 6 months ago now and it's just been sitting in the shed waiting for me to get to it. Other than a little bit of anxiety about getting too messy, it's going good so far. In fact you can see in the picture from the security cam (that I just simply turned 180° around), this is just one coat that only took about 20 minutes to do both sides of the shed (leaving the very top untouched for now) and frankly it looks totally good enough to me. 

But of course today is a sunny and relatively cloudless day, I wonder what it will look like after a good soaking rain, which, if current weather pattern follows as it has been for the past couple months, will likely be tomorrow? I kind of wish I had taken a "before" pic to show the difference. Suffice it to say it was so rusty (and maybe moldy) that it bugged me every time I glanced at it. And believe me, somebody as lazy as me, really needs things to look totally bad before I take care of them. 

Which does bring me to the other issue we can see in the photo. Well, there are a couple of issues, but the main one is the underside of the roof of the patio. In the section shown above, which is just outside the screened-in area, the Styrofoam insulation panel fell off long ago (like the week after I bought the house) and you can see the squiggly lines of whatever cheap glue one of the previous owners had used to help keep the foam in place. It obviously didn't do a great job. 

Well that foam panel covers the entire inside of the roof and where it is still up, in places it's sagging and in the two panels above the kitchen and bathroom window you can see quite a bit of staining. I think it's mold, which makes sense since that area would get super saturated with humidity from the steam of either the shower or cooking. 

Not sure if I should try to paint it or just tear down the panels all together and scrape off the squiggly lines of glue? I very much doubt the panels provide much insulation anyway. 

Ah well, one step at a time. Hopefully before spring comes and it starts getting above 80 every day cuz I sure am not going to do manual labor in the Florida heat.

EDIT: Well it's not even a week later and I can see speckles of rust bleeding through the paint on the shed roof. Yes, I read that this was going to happen when I researched painting the roof quite a while ago. But I chose not to believe it. I chose to believe that my cheap, thin paint would be sufficient. Now I guess I'm looking at some expensive Rust-Oleum or other branded rust inhibitor and, of course, repainting. Or, the cheaper and stupider option is to just apply a new coat of paint every week. I mean I have a big enough bucket of it and after about 20 or 30 layers do you think the rust would be that tenacious? Plus it would be a good exercise program. Hmmm...