The Concurrent Binge

 

So on Paramount Plus I'm binging The Twilight Zone but in an effort to not get bored of it prematurely, I've started binging another show, this one on Netflix, to change it up a bit. So yes, I'm binging two shows at once. But I figure there's pretty much no similarity between the two so I doubt I'll have any confusion.

This second binge is none other than Seinfeld. Another huge marathon of many seasons, and with the only similarity to the Twilight Zone being that this show has a plethora of iconic episodes that live in the hearts and memories of viewers for all time.

Now I'm not only watching the shows, I'm also following Along on IMDb to read about background information, trivia, and goofs for each episode. So this will be a long haul indeed.

The only minor irritation I have is Netflix has decided to show these episodes filling modern aspect ratio flat screen TVs when they were pretty much all four three ratio when originally broadcast so that the resolution is noticeably grainier than it should be. It's a minor detraction though.

There are quite a few episodes I've never seen since in the '90s my work schedule kind of conflicted with being able to watch this Primetime show often. In fact I think most of my viewing occurred after the show went into syndication and was available during various times on a number of channels over the years. Of course once YouTube hit the scene, many of the more famous episodes had clips available there plus I kind of think I did order a few discs from mail order Netflix back in the day, not sure if I tried to binge the whole series, or it could have been I watched whatever was available when streaming came into being but it could have been only limited seasons. Thankfully, as of this writing, Netflix has the entire series available for me, and unlike Paramount Plus, I don't think I'll be canceling Netflix anytime soon.

I'm just at the beginning of the second season right now and I'm quite pleased with how well these episodes hold up. Though the humor is timeless and holds up well even today, some of the references are quite dated but luckily, I'm old enough to know what they're talking about when characters mention things like stonewashed jeans, cotton Dockers, overly energetic soda commercials, the games we all played with answering machines, and blind dates... Like really blind dates, no social media to give you pretty much a dossier on who you're going to be meeting including their picture and what other revealing aspects they might share nowadays.

This is also a show that during its run throughout the 1990s, I was in the same age group, roughly in their thirties, as the characters. What especially rang true was all the quirkiness involved with the dating scene of the 1990s, I could totally relate. Albeit, mine was dating other men in the gay scene of the 90s. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."