As I Live And Breathe (No More)

 

My title isn't me being disrespectful, just a tad glib, if you will. And, you know, I think this fabulous man wouldn't have minded one bit.

I was dismayed to read that actor Leslie Jordan died yesterday morning in LA near his home after apparently suffering a medical emergency while driving, causing him to crash into a building.

Leslie Jordan has been my hero for years. The title alludes to his snooty queen attitude he oozed so well, especially when his deeply closeted, yet hilariously-unsuccessfully-so, character Beverly Leslie on Will & Grace came a'confronting his high-society rival Karen Walker. Never mind southern exposure, he was all about that Southern Shade.

You may also remember he got even more famous during the Covid lockdown in California with his viral Instagram posts and TikTok videos pointing out the day-to-day zany antics he fell naturally into while the world was going stir-crazy. He was salve for our souls at a time humanity needed it most.

To me he was a blend of the best...the comic chops and razor-sharp wit of Charles Nelson Riley, the impeccably queer taste and gentlemanly grace of Quentin Crisp, and the wisdom and likability of Sir Ian McKellen. He was what all young and middle-aged gay men should aspire to as they grow old. 

Mister ElderGay America, you will be missed.