Dastardly Deed!

 


Being distracted by my latest issues of insomnia, IRL streams gone wild and good ol' Madame Lafarge and Ol' Georgy syndromes, I forgot to watch my six. 

Bank of America nicked my SouthState checking account!

Although I knew this moment would eventually come, and I planned for it over a year ago by only depositing cash into the account when I needed to pay bills that day, once a month, I stupidly let about $110 sit there for almost three weeks when, out of the blue*, BOA got the County to garnish it and, after taking the entire balance, drop a $150 levy fee into the now empty account so I'll likely get hit with an overdraft fee as well.

*The legal writ was passed by the court on the 11th, but they only snail mail me on these things so I still hadn't received any notice. I know about this shit and should have monitored the County Court website at least once a week. I would have caught it then and immediately spent my money instead of letting it sit there like a sitting duck like the image above of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor.

Luckily, I noticed the action when I was logging into my bank web account just as I was preparing to deposit $1,000 in cash for this month's expenses. Had I done so blind, or a day before the levy, I most likely would have lost that too!

Thankfully, I have my other bank account that I didn't report to them. It seems fine for now and the writ on file makes no mention of it so I'll watch diligently from now on incase they somehow get wind of that and press the Court for another go 'round. But that account (Ally Bank) is an online-only bank and I can't easily deposit cash into it. So I had to go to Amscot yesterday and make out three money orders to cover my electric, AMEX and car insurance bill. From here on out I'll be visiting there each month to do the same money orders for electric and AMEX...I could whittle it down to just AMEX if I were willing to pay the charge from Duke Energy for credit card payments but, well, the money orders are free so...

If it weren't for the bad timing, especially with the dropping of the shitshow that was Assurance IQ, having no track of paystubs to show income, even a small amount for, I'd start the bankruptcy process now. But no, we still have to wait.

The one small glimmer of possible light was this line in the writ from the lawyers to the court:


As I read this, it seems like they're saying the only visible property I have is the money in the bank account. So does this mean they don't feel the car is "sufficient" to put towards the satisfaction of the "said judgement?"

Or are they emphasizing the word "visible" meaning they may have their sights set on in-visible possessions, like the box in my closet?

Fuck the Pearl Harbor metaphor then, if they got that, it's Nagasaki and Hiroshima in one.