Oh Yeah


Row, row, row your boat,
gently down the stream...
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...
Life is but a dream.

Official Starfleet camping round


You know, much of last year I had the cruises and Disney to distract me but now left to just these four walls, I'm drifting into that abyss again. Gently drifting. Like floating down a slow-moving stream. The rapids are far, far ahead of me...nothing whatsoever to worry about for now. And the falls themselves? Sometimes, in the still of the night air, I can just make out the faint sound of a low rumbling roar. So faint still...again, for now.

I've traveled this brook before so it's no cherry ride. (VERY inside joke only the most devoted will figure out.)

But with this Land of the Lost canyon raft journey I have no Alice to worry about, she's miles and miles, or is it millennia and millennia, away. Hard to tell if it's distance or time. Kinda like how a lot of people fuck up the meaning of light year. Ah, but I digress...

Ric admitted to me, for the umpteenth time I think, that he's sooo envious of what I did and how I now live. I think if he could he'd be very tempted to do it too. His job is getting worse...horrible supervisor, snitty co-workers, irate customers. Ah, how well I remember.

I still have dreams (or should I say 'nightmares') of Lakewood. And call centers. And every job I've ever had. I'll admit it...I hated them all. Oh yes, like everyone else, I've played the game of cognitive restructuring so as to swallow the daily Kool-Aid dose...just a sip, not enough to kill you right off but enough to keep you (get ready for a new word I learned:) somnambulant.

Weird coincidence happened today. I flipped through what seems like the endless options of crap available to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime and finally settled on a comedy flick from back in 2003..."Head of State" starring Chris Rock as a DC alderman tapped by an un-named political party to be their last-minute candidate for President. The rub, of course, is him being black and an unknown rube in the political arena. Remember, this is 2003...way before Obama. And at a time it would be unheard of to have a candidate with virtually no political chops.

The movie was pretty good. It had some great one-liners and Chris Rock was his usual black Seinfeld so...

But other than the odd thing about eerily prescient lines like "Gentlemen, this is a presidential campaign, not a circus!" (LOL!) and the concept of a fill-in candidate after the famous one running is killed in an aircraft crash, they actually had a quick little visual scene where Chris Rock's character tries to revamp the campaign into his own style and takes down a portrait on the campaign headquarters wall of Ronald Reagan and replaces it with a framed picture of Kobe Bryant!

For you reading in the far future...IRL, Kobe just died in a helicopter crash yesterday.

I think when you live a life like I am right now, with not a thing to do all day and all night except sit and smell the roses, so to speak, it does give you the opportunity to notice little gems like this. They happen all the time. I've noticed little things like this many times before.

You can be waking from a dream about someone and turn on the TV and there's something about that very person on. Or things like this movie today...of all the days I chose to watch this, up pops that image in a movie that deals with a sudden unexpected plane crash death of someone famous (sort of).

Of course, the ten thousand dollar question: What does it mean? Nothing, I say.

Or perhaps it is The Universe trying to give us a tiny tap on the shoulder because, to add to this cluster fuck of mixed metaphors that is this post, here's another coininkydink:

Clicking on a suggested video on my YouTube home page this morning, I watch a behind-the-scenes interview with Alan Ruck and Matthew Broderick as they were filming Ferris Bueller's Day Off back in 1986. It was a cute, relaxed slice of these young actors' life and they talk a bit about how they visualize the characters they play and the atmosphere of the film. And what is the big take away message of that flick?

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."