TRAVELOGUE: Indianapolis, Indiana


Monday, November 25, 2019

Drove up to Ric's stopping on the way to buy a small gift for Ric's mom (citrus jellies and marmalade basket from Davidson of Dundee) and to mail Kruggy off to APMEX via the Lake Wales UPS Store (#goldfree).

In Lake Mary, chatted a bit with Ric's roommate Pragnesh then we went in Ric's car to the airport. Introduced Ric to the awesomeness of Terminal C. Our Southwest flight to Atlanta was uneventful but we nearly missed the leg from Atlanta to Indy since we were stuffing our faces at the Longhorn Steakhouse concession in Concourse C.

Ric's sister Debbie was going to pick us up at Indianapolis Airport but we were slightly delayed and arrived close to midnight so she arranged for an Uber to drive us from the airport to Geist clear on the opposite side of the metro area.

Ric's mom Candy stayed up to let us in and she loved the gift basket, even opened it so we stood at the kitchen island munching on jelly candies at 1:00 in the morning.

The bedroom allocated to me was a tiny, windowless room near the boiler in the finished basement. The bed in there was smaller than a twin bed. Maybe okay for a doll, but not a full grown big man. Had to sleep on the couch in the nearby family room.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

After a breakfast of egg casserole (Welcome to the Midwest) we three played a card game called Hand and Foot 'till later in the afternoon then we went shopping at Kroger and later for dinner at a nearby Mexican restaurant. Back at Candy's condo, played more cards and dominoes then Candy went to bed. Ric and I stayed up a while more to play some more dominoes.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

I reheated the leftover fajita meat I had from yesterday and coupled it with two over-easy eggs for breakfast. Just after noon we went to the nearby township of Castleton to the AMC theater to see "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood." Actually pretty good bio-pic highlighting Mr. Rodgers. Had a late lunch/early dinner at White Castle. Sometime in the afternoon Debbie came over to the condo while Candy, Ric and I played more cards and chatted, drank some wine and got progressively louder. It's a Dorsey thing.

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Went to nearby Mark and Melissa's (Ric's brother and his wife) and there with the rest of the fam (Mark and Melissa's kids Matthew, Madison and Maria -- yes, they went with the "all M names" thing) we had T-Day dinner. Also there were Ric's sister Debbie and her boyfriend John, Matthew's new wife Sarah and her parents. My social anxiety was acute but I think I did well.

Friday, November 29, 2019

Social anxiety was strong for me this morning so I laid in my bedding set up on the floor of the basement-level family room (I'd abandoned the couch since I couldn't get to sleep well in it) and I went up only after hearing Ric was up. Didn't help any when my fat butt accidentally knocked over Candy's standing cane and it smacked into a ceramic angel arranged at the bottom of the baker's shelf unit in the kitchen breaking off a piece of the wing. Candy didn't seem upset when I told her what happened. She even blamed herself to an extent saying she shouldn't have had her cane standing around.

Today, Candy was the host as her family came to her condo to have a lunch of her beloved family recipe Svichkova (not even going to try to spell it right) a Czech beef-stroganoff type dish served with dumplings instead of noodles. I've had this before when Ric brought it down from roadtrips to Indy and when Candy was down years ago and she made it at Ric's condo. It's good. After eating we all played a dice game called Farkle. I'd never played this before but somehow I won.

We all got to witness a deer walking around in the back yard. Candy said this happens occasionally but she hadn't seen one this year until now.


After the extended family had left and evening came, Ric and I went out to a local watering hole situated right on the lake. Wolfie's Grill at Geist. Here I went a bit loco with the variety of IPAs they had that I'd not seen or tasted before. Add in a couple of mixed drinks and shots of Fireball and Patron and, well, I don't remember much of anything else. I just, yet again from getting wasted with Ric, have another nasty wound to show for it. This time, a big gash on my right shin from falling out of the Uber we took back to his mom's house.


Saturday, November 30, 2019

Woke around 11:30 to discover that during the night I'd shit myself and a palm-sized puddle had gotten absorbed by the two comforters I slept with. The underwear I was wearing was destroyed. I had to clump its soggy mess up, stuff it in a plastic grocery store baggie and toss it in the outside garbage bin. I fessed up to my accident and Ric helped me place the comforters in the laundry room putting one in the washer. Can I do anything else to embarrass myself further? Candy didn't seem overly upset but surely this is not a desired outcome of hosting house guests. Hopefully she'll remember I'm on Metformin and this is a constant side effect I have to deal with. But surely getting literally falling down drunk didn't help.

Candy drove us to the airport after noon. Ric had lunch at a Champps concession there but I remained badly hungover through the rest of the day and into the night so I hadn't eaten anything until I got home around 10 pm.