The Calm Before The Storm




Above is the latest projected path (my town circled in blue) which I feel better about than the last model since it puts the storm a little farther away and taking a more northerly trajectory. A Cat 1 following the path indicated above should pose less damage from both wind and rain. In this scenario, we'd stay west of the storm (the generally milder side) and experience more favorable effects.

In 2017, Hurricane Irma took a path coming up towards Sebring from the southwest and stayed west of town. This meant this area took the brunt of the stronger winds and rains and the eye wall came much closer. There was considerable damage but not total devastation. From the file video I've been checking out, it looks like this area got hit pretty much the same as the area I lived in at the time north of Orlando. Yet here, being much farther away from the larger cities, the power took much longer to get fully restored...taking weeks. (Though, as you can read about here, my then-workplace was affected similarly because of a messed up localized transformer blow-out.)

Just in case though, I've snapped a few pictures of my house as it exists right now, early in the morning of Friday, August 30th. Hopefully, all will be exactly as it is documented here after Dorian comes a'calling.