Hurricane Dorian Takes Aim






As you can see, as of now (11 pm update on 8/29), things are looking bad for us. And, as shown in the last picture in the series above, my home is a mere 27 miles from the projected position of the storm's eye for Tuesday. I'll be facing mandatory evacuation for sure. This being a mobile home, I'd evacuate nevertheless. I'll head up to Ric's in Lake Mary north of Orlando probably on Sunday so I can hopefully beat the majority of the traffic but it'll likely be slow going.


Oh, my cruise? Here's the revised itinerary from Royal Caribbean as of 10 pm:


I'm hoping debris will be cleared from the Florida's Turnpike so I'll likely take that from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday morning to get on my puny three night cruise.

It's weird to think I'll be on a pleasure cruise for a quick visit to the Bahamas while my mobile home may be destroyed. With no insurance, I'd be screwed.

But that's worse case. Hopefully my home will fare better. After all, it's been around for 50 years so far...how many hurricanes is that?

Well, no matter what, I'm sure this will be a very unusual week coming up. Many questions remain. How will my shortened cruise be compensated? Will I get a prorated adjustment to my pre-paid cruise parking? When I do return home next Saturday, what shape will my home/town be in? How long will power be out?

Ah, the joys of living in Florida.

Shit like this makes West Virginia or St. Louis look more attractive than ever.