TRAVELOGUE: Key West and Nassau Cruise, July 2019: Day 3


Wednesday, July 24, 2019


Key West, Florida

Outfits: Daytime: Grey sleeveless "Born to Brew" T with red madras plaid button-down over it, tan khakis. Nightime: Black and pink Bird of Paradise pattern tropical shirt and black shorts.

Drinks: Two draft Landshark beers from The Bull and Whistle Bar on Duval St., one Pina Colada from the Pool Bar.

Went to the Centrum-located excursions desk (not far at all from my very conveniently located cabin right on Deck 4 behind the main elevator bank) before my WJ breakfast to get my prepaid Old Town Trolley Tour Bus ticket. Went ashore after breakfast and walked over to the bus stop. Hot and muggy and I was really feeling it. My big toe bone spurs are really making even a little walking a chore and a half. It's not so much the pain, but the wonky way I'm forced to walk. Puts strain on my whole body. Of course I'd sweated off the sunscreen I'd applied earlier within ten minutes of walking. The tour bus was open air too so not much relief. The tide was low too, making it not only hot but putrid. I don't think they mention that in the tourist guide books. This small island town is surrounded by mucky fecund harbors making it a great marina and port but you gotta deal with the hot day aromatics I guess.


The tour bus was wonderful! Our driver/narrator, I think his name was Russ, I'll edit this if I find out otherwise, had an awesome deep southern drawl (exaggerated for effect, I'm sure) and gave us facts about the various landmarks he pointed out along our way around the island. Very funny too! Gave him a nice fiver tip. I rode the whole trip, though you could "hop on hop off" if you wanted.






After arriving back to Mallory Square Marketplace walked down to Duval St. and decided to have a couple of beers at an old open air bar called The Bull and Whistle Bar. I'd read a bit about Key West before this cruise so I knew that this was one of the older bars in town, a favorite for tourists and locals alike. Upstairs, they have a bar called the Garden of Eden which is a rooftop patio decked out with many plants that features a clothing optional atmosphere. Oh la la. (I didn't venture up, of course.) The raspy-voiced bartender reminded me of the sort of neighborhood bar staff like the old Lake Mary bar Ric and I visited one Holiday season several years ago.

I wasn't in the mood for drinkin' and I wasn't in the mood for socializing either. And the vibe I was getting from not only the bar but the town in general was that those were the main activities for everyone here. Maybe if I were with Ric. I sure could see why he likes this place though. It's right up his alley.



Went back to Mallory Square, bought my obligatory magnet souvenir, sat cooling off in a small mall here and made my way back to the ship by 1:30. After a shower, lunch at WJ and afternoon rest, filmed a bit from the top deck of the town below and enjoyed the breeze and the setting sun as we set sail around 6:30.



Show in the theater tonight was "Signed, Sealed and Delivered" featuring an energetic multi-racial song and dance troupe (the same from the Welcome Aboard show) and music of Motown and the 50s and 60s. Reminded me of "Burn the Floor" on the Breakaway. The lead male and female singers were awesome with powerful "wake up the old folks" belting voices.

After a WJ dinner (I didn't attend any dining room meals this cruise...not feelin' it.) went to the Spectrum lounge for more karaoke.