TRAVELOGUE: Western Caribbean Cruise 2019: Day 2


Monday, April 8, 2019

At Sea.

Outfit: Black shorts, black "Snake Eyes" T and the Daytona hoodie (as needed).

Breakfast #1: Country breakfast platter @ O'Sheehan's at 5:30 am.

Breakfast #2: Eggs Benedict at Savor dining room at 7:30 am.

Lunch: American BBQ mini-buffet at Moderno.

Snack: Caramel gelato at gelato window and 2 sweet items at Garden Cafe.

Dinner: Old Sailor's Basket special at O'Sheehan's.

Drinks: My 2 bottles of Chianti I brought on board, 2 Coronas at O'Sheehan's and a Corona at Syd Norman's.

Entertainment: "Guilty Pleasures" band at Syd Norman's and 11pm "adult" standup comic in Headliners

Guilty Pleasures at Syd Norman's

I really took almost no pictures this trip, in some cases this was a really bad thing because I would have loved to have captured them, so I don't have anything from Day 2. It was a rainy and miserable night and day with only minor breaks in the weather later in the day.

So here's a picture from yesterday I took while I was waiting to embark. It's a crew member painting the side of the boat. So that's how they keep that Peter Max paint job looking so nice...continual retouch ups. Sweet.

Paint That Hull
This reminds me of the fact that it seemed like I saw a lot of maintenance workers milling about all during the cruise working on various things around the ship. Hmm, odd for a ship not even 10 years old. I noticed a lot of dings and scratches throughout the ship. There was also some issue with the A/C in O'Sheehan's one night and a big dip in the floor there as well. New symbols were plastered on the walls everywhere, indicating some kind of code for the staff to use in emergencies, I assume. And yesterday's muster drill...oh man, it was like a fucking hour and a half at least! (I guess 'cause we were heading into a storm.) People applauded when it was over.

Less "Code Alphas" this trip (and no Coast Guard Evacs either), but I think this time it was the ship itself that was having (or dealing with the consequences of) debilitating issues.

Putzed around much of this rainy, dreary day. Got drunk on my wine late afternoon and got snotty with staff at O'Sheehan's about the stupidity of the ice cream bar. They were their usual smiley robots, of course.

Because of the rain I witnessed a weird dialog between a young, pre-pubescent boy and his mom. The kid asked why his mom was mad all the time. She replied she isn't mad all the time but she was now because they weren't going to be able to do anything they'd planned on this trip (indicating the foul weather was ruining her vacation). She literally looked liked she was going to have a nervous breakdown. Good luck to this kid and his fucked life.