Caught On Film


Shortly after I returned from my Carribean cruise last fall I scanned YouTube to see if anyone else on my cruise had uploaded video of their voyage so I could check it to compare it to my week. I found a couple video series actually, one was more of a fashion vlog for her target audience: upscale suite cabin travelers who give a shit what they wear for each moment on and off the ship...not my cup of tea.

But another series, filmed by a more down-to-earth couple from Louisiana, was exactly what I was looking for...a day-by-day personal vlog style record of all the activities they did. They took a ton of footage and really spent a lot of time on everything for each day of the cruise, filming in all sorts of locations all around the ship. Enough so to make me think "Gee, I wonder if I'll see myself in these videos?"

So I started looking out for that possibility. On one video in the series they were filming themselves enjoying some cool tropical adult beverages at one of the pool deck bars on the day and around the time I myself had gone there to sip me some of those frozen daily special drinks I wrote about here. I didn't spot me anywhere in their vid but I swear it was the same bar I went to and in fact I sat in the stool that the lady filming sat when making the video. They must have just left as I came there.

They have a lot of clips of this trip so it's been quite some time since last November since they only put up one video in this series every week or two. But finally I found myself unknowingly playing an extra in the background twice in the 20 minute-ish clip they posted a couple weeks ago.

The footage is from the day the ship docked at Harvest Kaye, the NCL private island in Belize. All the guests in this clip are from our ship since we were the only one in port. The vloggers, a husband and wife who frequently cruise and vlog their adventures, are showing off the island and amenities.

First time I end up in their video is when they are showing their beach chair arrangement. Off to the upper left, waaaay in the background, you can see me lounging back reading my Kindle. Here's the spot on the video we see this.


Next, you can see me (much closer and more recognizable) while they film their lunch at the Harvest Caye Landshark Bar. I'm just then approaching the bar and taking a seat. I wrote about my liquid lunch here in this blog post. I was just about to order the first of the three margaritas I'd have that afternoon there. As you can see, I'm much closer to the filming couple but I'm totally oblivious to them. Clip here.