Hawthorne On My Mind




Earlier this week I saw an ad on Craigslist for this house:


It's a 1 bed, 1 bath (though more on that later) on the side of the railroad tracks in Hawthorne, Florida. They're asking $30K. So far as I see it now, here are the pros and cons:

PRO:

New metal roof, vinyl siding, central air, porch surround, car port, shed, low-maintenance landscape, walking distance to shopping (ya know what I mean) and other amenities, no residential neighbors bordering property, looks solid, stick-built, not manufactured.

At $30,000 list for a stick-built house in Florida on a third of an acre in the middle of a town with full electric, sewer and water and no HOA? Sweet!

CON:

In a small, rural typically Southern town featuring a large black population, poverty and possibly insularity. Lower population (under 2000) means less crime but the crime there is is burglary, car theft, and petty theft. The train tracks are not just nearby, they are right alongside the house. Previous owners are quoted as saying the all night freight trains running by at 60 MPH actually rattle the contents in the house.

It is listed as a 1x1, but, from the pics online, I think for a relatively cheap rehab, the house could easily be converted to a 2x1 with a nice open-plan kitchen/dining area/living room floor plan remodel.

It's been used as a low-wage rental so the previous tenant left a lot of junk to be cleared out.

I contacted the agent today to ask for a viewing but he seemed totally wigged out. Didn't want to pick up my call and left curt and rude replies to my emails. Then he called back but when I picked up he hung up on me. Later he called and I let it go to VM and now he hasn't responded to my email replies. This guy, like the agent for the Fannin place in WV is acting totally weird and turning me off on this, even though at first glance, this place seems ideal.

Not sure what's up with this one. Hawthorne is a 2 hour drive from here so I kinda want someone dependable if I agree to see it. I'd be really pissed traveling all that way to find out he bailed on me. There are a few other red flags involved in this too, but there are some subtle facts about this that make me feel it's right, as well.

Guess I'll find out soon.

EDIT: So I get an email from him where he wants to know if I would be paying in cash. I say yes. I ask if I could see it this weekend sometime. He replies back at 7am the next morning saying it's sold but for rent if I knew someone interested. Hmmm. Very sketchy. Ah well, screw that.