Almost Heaven




Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.

Country Roads - John Denver

Sunday morning I'll be flying up to Cincinnati to check out some of the real estate deals I've recently found on Craigslist. One of them, just outside Huntington, West Virginia, may be my future home.

Like the Adirondacks in New York, I seem to be drawn to the beauty of the area. And with home prices here still at bargain basement prices, I feel I have to take a chance.

With this one property I was able to successfully get them to come down some $4000 and I freakin' love it. I spend hours upon hours checking it and the area it's in out to see how it would benefit me in the near future. The town is Huntington, West Virginia and its got a lot of knocks against it online since, it seems, it has a bit of a opioid drug problem.

But the house I'm looking at is so cute, has no major repair flaws (that I can tell) and is ready to occupy. For $22,500, for a stick-built, remodeled home (not manufactured or mobile home) and the land it's on...it's a dream come true.

Thanks to my financial machinations, ie., balance transferring to my checking account on all cards offering it, I will have the cash to buy the property out right. And then I'll be a landowner. Yes, about a tenth of an acre, but still more land than many people, even Ric, can say they own.

If this all goes through, I'll soon be moving to West Virginia.

I don't know why but I get teary-eyed at this thought. I feel like something is compelling me to feel love for West Virginia. I feel like this is my home. It's the home I was destined to make my own.

Is this boom or bust? Well, as Koyo One taught us, only time will tell.

Amen.