TRAVELOGUE: Universal Studios area, Orlando, Florida

As I wrote about in my last post, I kinda got a jump on this weekender since I had some unexpected days off from work so on Sunday, August 13, when I checked into my hotel near Universal, I'd already visited the parks twice in two days. So counting Sunday and Monday during my stay there, I guess I'd been to the parks about four times. A little hard to say since some visits were kinda short, like Sunday after check in I drove almost literally across the street to the park, made a beeline for the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon ride (decent Spiderman-ish 3-D ride...way too short!) debated grabbing a bite to eat in the park but I was tired so I stopped at the close-by KFC and Taco Bell for some snacks and went back to my hotel for the night. Enjoyed Game of Thrones actually on HBO for the first time.

Monday morning I woke up energized though I'd only had about four hours sleep due to stubborn compulsions (sigh) and decided to walk to the park. It isn't the distance that was the challenge though, it really wasn't too far...maybe a quarter of a mile...but the heat! I hadn't even made it across Kirkman before I sweated all my carefully applied sunscreen off. Thankfully I had a mini tube in my pocket 'cause I sure needed it. The sun was blazing!

I did the new (well, new to me since it's been a few years) Kong Island ride. Took the single rider route so I guess I missed a chunk of the no doubt awesome queue scenery, but got on pretty much right away. Our vehicle broke down halfway through making us wait in the dark for about 5 or 10 minutes. No big. But it snagged us a complimentary immediate re-ride on the next one. I heard a lot of critical reviews about this attraction and, yes, without the breakdown it was, like Jimmy Fallon, way too brief, but the 3-D cinematics were quite awesome, in my opinion, and the journey back to the station platform included a nice up-close viewing of a huge animatronic Kong head...reminiscent of the Kong in the classic Kongfrontation ride over in the Studios park that closed 15 years ago.

I'd done the coasters at IOA on Friday so I focused mainly on new experiences for today. Though I've eaten at Three Broomsticks before, I hadn't had the more Celtic-ish fare I was in the mood for so I ordered Cornish Pasties plate which essentially was three small meat pies and a salad. Pretty tasty but quite light. I took the Hogwart's Express to the Studios park, new since I'd only ridden it once before and that was from the Studios to IOA. I guess same window cinematics yet in reverse order. Like when I first rode it, the last character you'd see out the window was Hagrid waving to greet you to Hogsmeade. But in this direction, he's the first one you see and he's waving goodbye as you head off to London.

I strolled through Diagon Alley, really soaking up the atmosphere. It really is amazing what they've created here. The immersion and detail definitely rivals even Disney themeing. After sipping a Dragon Scale brew and enjoying the singing ladies show (forget what it's called) I went over to the trial seat for Gringott's. Back when this attraction first opened, I couldn't even get my butt into the seat, let alone fully engage the shoulder restraints, but this time, wha la, fit just fine. Yay! Ride verdict: Meh. Like a shorter version of the Mummy ride and less thrilling. Not highly repeatable. What's more, I failed to notice that they had a single rider line so I ended up waiting in queue for over an hour.

Afterwards, I was hungry again and I still wanted more Old Country food so I ordered Cottage Pie plate at the Leaky Cauldron. This was basically Shepard's Pie and an arugula and green leaf lettuce salad. Quite filling. Lots of what tasted like homemade mashed potatoes and ground meat filling.

That August heat was really roaring by now, mid-afternoon, even through the canopy of Diagon Alley, so I sat on a bench and took maybe half an hour soaking in all the olde tyme themeing. This'll never get old. Well, though it looks old, it'll always be perpetually amazing.

By four-ish I was pooped, sweat-soaked and feeling sun sick. Knowing I'd never make it walking back to the hotel, I slowly ambled over to CityWalk, made my way down to the Mears stand and caught a cab.

Went back home the next morning and felt I'd achieved a robust success, catching up with old and new attractions, fitting on every ride, and soaking up a healthy dose of much needed Vitamin D in the process.