Georgia On My Mind

Almost two months ago I read one of my Travelzoo offers that I get on a regular basis. It takes a bit of extra effort since I have my email setup so that all Travelzoo emails go into a separate folder. I saw that they had an offer for a discount rate on a 4-star Hilton hotel in downtown Atlanta. Since it was undergoing renovations, they were offering $65 a night booking. Sure, I thought without a moments notice and booked a couple nights for as long out as I could so I'd catch warmer weather. I didn't want to go to Atlanta in the middle of winter, it's colder than here.

Well now that time has come. I also booked roundtrip airfare not long afterwards so I'm all set to go, very early tomorrow morning for a weekend in Atlanta, Georgia.

Problem is, I don't really want to go now.

After booking shit I checked it out and there's just not a lot that interests me in Atlanta, Georgia. I mean if it were Athens, Georgia, I'd love to tour the proving ground of the early B-52s. If it were Savanna, Georgia, it'd be nice to see the historic homes and stuff and stroll the cobblestone streets. If it were Cordele, Georgia, it'd be fun to see the jail Ric spent a night in recently...no, just kidding.

I'm thinking Six Flags Over Georgia might be an adequate diversion but the place is less than half the size of IOA from what I can make out, has typical non-Orlando quality and is almost as expensive as an Orlando park in ticket price with some shady "fake discounts" for buying online. And the food and drink prices seem higher than here? What?!

Weather isn't projected to be great. Cold with highs in the low 70s and rain possible for Friday and Saturday; most likely for Sunday.

Probably because of the renovation discounts, Yelp reviews paint a poor picture of service and value. And with hoity-toity standard check-ins beginning at 4pm (but delayed due to heavy occupation according to several reviewers) and 11am check out, it looks like I'll be having to whittle away time on Friday and Sunday as I try to find things to do while I fill the gap between flight arrival/departure and check-in/check-out times.

Long delays, cold, rain, airport parking, tourist trap tours, ghetto traversing public transit, an overpriced, chinzy amusement park and likely a heavy dose of Southern in-hospitality and I'm really thinking twice about all this.

Stay tuned to see what I decide.