Fasten Your Seat Belts...

Yesterday a monumental event occurred that will go down in history. It wasn't wholly without prediction, but it was a surprise nevertheless. And it came to fruition, once the wheels were set in play, very, very quickly.

What does this all mean? Are we in more peril now? We've been so safe for so many years and now we will all need to be aware of this great change that  has occurred as of yesterday, a date that will live in infamy, January 20th, 2017.

That's right people. I'm talking about one thing, and one thing only...

RIC BOUGHT A CAR!

I kid of course, Ric isn't that bad of a driver (if sober, of course). I rode in his new car yesterday since he bought it at a nearby dealership and visited me afterwards. It's a 2000 Lexus ES 300. Despite its age, it does look pretty good, rides smoothly and for a 17 year old car has only about 126,000 miles.

Of course I had to rib him just a little bit as I sat in the passenger seat and pointed out the installed cassette player and lighter/ashtray features...relics of the 20th century no longer extant in, I think, all car models for the past decade at least. I asked him if he should play "The Thong Song" or "Living La Vida Loca" (two popular songs from the year 2000).

He remarked on the car's ride how it felt a lot like the Oldsmobile that he and Gary fought over, to which I pointed out was, ironically, back around the year 2000.

It was fun but also a little worrying (the latter feeling I kept under wraps) watching him act like a teenager with his first car today. Not being able to have one for several years will do that. I know. My worries stem from the fact that his life lately has seemingly slipped down a notch or two in the risk avoidance category.

I mean, just a year ago Ric appeared he was practically tenured in his job which was close to home reducing potential absences due to transportation issues. Now he has no job (though he says he'll be starting at his new one in a month from now) no health insurance and is living off his 401K cash out. His new job is on I-Drive which is a car-only commute on construction-riddled, traffic jam-packed I-4 on which he'll be crawling along in the beaming Florida sun on a 17 year old engine.

Hey, take it from me, I know you gotta do what you gotta do when the chips are down. Koyos aren't fun. Sure, they make you simplify things. Forcibly. And that can be cathartic and allow for personal growth in readjusting one's life goals and priorities. But man it can be fuckin' rough.

I wish Ric all the best though. He's a good soul, so to speak, and has so far been lucky enough to keep things afloat through all manner of trials all these years I've known him (which is going on 20 years, BTW). I think he'll be fine.

Oh, but do still metaphorically fasten your seat belts folks 'cause Trump's our president now and we're in for a fuck of a bumpy-ass ride!