VIDEO SCRAPBOOK: My Favorite Video Games, NES, SNES and GameBoy

I was a late-commer to the NES. For most of the eighties I had my Commodore 64 so I didn't see the need to invest in a Nintendo. What's more, I was getting the feeling that I was too old for what was thought to be a kid's game system. But then the C64 started to get fewer and fewer games published for it and coincidentally my unit broke so I finally went and bought a second hand NES sometime around 1990. I enjoyed it only for a couple years though since it also broke and I decided to buy the newer Super Nintendo. And that too would only see a couple years in the video game spotlight when it got eclipsed by the PC. The Game Boy was played throughout the Nintendo era but it too was laid waste by the PC.

Here are some of my favs of the short-lived Nintendo era:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (1990) NES

I saw the cashier at the convenience store across the street from my Logee Street apartment playing this game (while "working" LOL, I think he was the owner's son) and I was entranced. I got the NES to basically play this. It was a fantastic strategy game and I spent hours playing it.



Super Mario World (1992) SNES

When I bought the SNES and hooked it up to the TV in our living room Wayne poo-pooed it thinking he'd never be interested in such a kid's toy. But it wasn't long before he was playing this addictive little game virtually non-stop. Me too, of course. The colors, the animations, the music and the challenging yet fun stages were phenomenal.



SimCity (1992) SNES

I'd played SimCity on the C64 and on a Mac Plus but this SNES version blew those versions out of the water. The graphics, for the day, were stunning. Couple that with the music, changing seasons and the great SimCity dynamics of gameplay and well, there goes your weekend. Every weekend.



Monopoly (1992) Game Boy

Other than the ubiquitous Tetris which every Game Boy owner loved, I really enjoyed the Game Boy version of this board game classic. The Game Boy was the early nineties equivalent of smartphones today. Excellent mindless distraction tool when on the go. Great conversation-avoider as well when at functions where you don't really want to chat with anyone. Like around family.