One More Year Of The Bellagio Blues

I'd been hemmin' and hawin' pretty much all year over whether I should renew my lease for my apartment or leave. Well, Tuesday, not without a great amount of reservation, I put pen to paper and decided to stay for another year.

I recently wrote here and here about some of the issues I have and how I felt I needed a change. When I actually got serious about shopping around for new digs, it turns out where I am isn't so much of a bad thing after all.

Though I think it would be great to capitalize on the opportunity which still exists for buying at reduced prices, I still have some big obstacles. My credit is still not where I'd like it to be if I were to take out a mortgage. The income I make relegates me to buying small, ie. condo, and some in the lower price ranges are scarier than comparable sized apartments in the lower end rent areas. I don't have any savings so I couldn't place a down-payment. And I believe the days of no down payment mortgages are long gone.

Rents in Central Florida are rising faster than housing prices though and that's put a strain on finding an improved apartment situation to my current state. I set out Monday to view some of the more "affordable" prospects and frankly, by the end of the day, I was shocked. Available rentals in my "replacement" price range (that is, comparably equal or just a bit higher than what I pay now) are down-right frightening.

They all seemed old, smelly and I could sense that I'd be dealing with high energy bills due to ancient appliances and A/C as well as my old yet ubiquitous nemesis: bugs. What's more, though I complain about my current complex's low-end residents, these places, summed up by judging them, their cars and the surrounds by looks alone (c'mon, we all do it) really informed me that my situation could be a LOT worse off.

Since Hulk is getting, according to the latest dashboard reading, about 36 MPG, I don't think the 15 - 20 mile commute each way is going to be too expensive. It'd be nice, especially in regards to time and efficiency to live much closer to work, but from the selections I viewed this week...the cost savings would easily be chewed up and then some by the higher cost of a better quality place, or risk the potential for greater stress and depression by living in more of a ghetto.

I'm a person who has simple needs and relatively affordable hobbies so I usually, on a day to day, month to month basis, don't feel poor. I eat and drink whenever and pretty much whatever I want (often times that's not a good thing though), I go on budget vacations that are fun and interesting enough, I attend movies, live theater and frequent theme parks regularly. I can usually buy whatever video game of other techno-distraction that catches my fancy. I pay bills on time and without straining my budget. I don't feel deprived.

But that's all so very dependent on my current housing costs which are well below standard. If I had to pay what I'd really feel much more comfortable in; say a luxury resort style condo or apartment complex or, better yet, my own single-family home, I'd put an unbearable, and inevitably doomed strain on my finances.

So I know my place. I may be poor, but I refuse to go back to being poor and struggling to survive.