Plato's Insomniatic Cave

I live a Plato's Cave existence. Akin to his allegory of stark limitations to one's perception of the world around them, my apartment walls and ceiling, though thin, mask all visual connection to the variety of thumps, clacks and creaks I hear daily as I lay in quasi-consciousness trying fruitlessly to get a good day's sleep.

In my mind's eye I can "see" the goings-on of the interiors of my neighbors' dwellings and it disturbs me.

Upstairs, the Wacko Dysfunco Mom (single mother with only occasional visitation rights to her irritatingly-noisome baby-daddy's brats due to the divorce settlement based on her mental instability*) paces incessantly throughout the day and night. Her footfalls are like a hyper-enthusiastic Russian soldier goose-stepping in a May Day parade. "Is it our regular afternoon thunder storms or is it HER again?" I wonder wearily and woefully in my half-awake nightmare thoughts.

*All back story information on my neighbors is entirely fictionalized, of course, since I don't actually know them. I only hear them.

The bed head wall emits a very faint and very rare subtle noise. A muffled thunk. I "see" it as a small cabinet door with a slight spring back action hinge. The hinge allows the door to shut closed flush to the little felt pad pressure points with a gentle tug. The door is part of a larger cabinet made of fairly nice quality pressboard or MDF covered in a smart-looking wood grain veneer. The eerie part of this is, true to this topic as I've never really seen it, I've heard this very same thunk ever since I moved in here two and a half years ago. And that's at least four different tenants! Was the cabinetry installed by the apartment complex? I don't think so since I could swear I heard it getting electric-screwdriver fastened to the wall shortly after I moved in. Why is it still there?

From the other wall, Apartment Number 17, I hear the most disturbing of all my early evening noises: nothing. Only once in a blue moon, so to speak, do I hear anything. And that's only the front door to that apartment quietly and fleetingly opening and closing, no doubt someone entering or exiting quickly. And stealthily. I never hear what goes on in there, even when I have my ear pressed firmly to the wall. Not a peep.

They're terrorists. I'm sure of it. They're plotting something. Not enough traffic for drug pushers. And no muffled cries from hapless victims as if they were serial killers. So they must be a terrorist cell. Quietly assembling bomb vests. Right here next door to me.

Or maybe I just need to get more sleep?