Let TV Freedom Ring

I've been slow to catch on to the revolution that's been underway for several years now but I finally think I've achieved total freedom from the bonds of traditional commercial television. Quite an accomplishment for someone in my generation, let me tell you. I, like many boomers, grew up with TV. It was my surrogate third parent.

Last week, I cancelled cable.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't watch TV programming anymore. But it's availability via the producer's websites, outlets like Netflix and Hulu, and digital download means one doesn't have to put up with a TV network's programming schedule that doesn't fit your availability and, of course, the commercials.

Oh how I don't miss the commercials.

I've been watching some really terrific shows lately too. Breaking Bad and American Horror Story were my first forays into the world of internet streamed television, but the networks that produce these, AMC and FX respectively, have lately stopped streaming content via their sites. Lack of ad revenue? Not sure why, but several other networks continue to make their programming available online and show no sign of ceasing this practice.

Netflix got me hooked watching great television series via their website as well. Downton Abbey, Mad Men, The Tudors, Boardwalk Empire and Homeland have been my favorites. Cued up for viewing in the near future are Game of Thrones and Borgia. They also produce their own series, most recently House of Cards (Netflix American version) with Kevin Spacey. Riveting! Can't wait for next "season," which really is installment since all episodes are uploaded at one time. What a luxury being able to watch shows on your schedule, not some network's.

I was initially afraid that cancelling cable would mean I'd potentially miss out on content from the traditional broadcast networks, but, for example, both NBC and CBS have their most recent episodes of Saturday Night Live and The Amazing Race up on their sites hours after the air broadcast, so it's no problem whatsoever.

Ah, the joys of freedom! I don't miss the mornings I'd come home from work and flip through channel after channel of the hundreds of them available, only to find they have crap like infomercials or idiotic programming available on them. No more enduring some twenty odd minutes of irritating commercials just to watch one freaking show.

And, most of all, no more of my precious dollars being wasted on crappy and glitchy cable TV from Bright House, the longtime bane of my existence.

Who knew just a few years ago...

The internet shall set you free!