Day 19: 23 Pounds

I'm starting to notice differences in my appearance and, of course, how my body feels, but so far nobody else has. That's to be expected. 23 lb. loss on a person in the low 200's or so would definitely be noticeable but from 305 where I started, it won't be readily apparent to the casual observer just yet. This duplicates the phenomenon I'd experienced BINT (remember what BINT is?). I had consistently lost weight for almost 3 months before co-workers and casual observers started noticing. And soon after, it became gasps from people who hadn't seen much of me that summer. Some people thought I was sick. It may be the same this time 'round. No worries for sure. I'm not doing this for attention. It's for me.

I will likely change up my overall weight loss and fitness development strategy in order to avoid complacency or boredom, it's what I did well BINT and if you think about it, it makes sense, especially in regards to a workout routine to get the most benefit out of each gym session. I do want to record what I've done so far and will continue to keep a journal throughout. Good data is only good if you can use it. If you leave it to just memory, it can easily become lost so it's best to write it down.

Let's start with exercise. I've wisely decided to utilize the assets I have on-hand and I now do 25-30 minutes of cardio at the Fitness Center at work...while on shift, of course. This mimics BINT when I did stair stepping using the group home's basement stairway almost every shift. Now it's a very professional grade stationary bike with computerized progress monitor. It says I burn anywhere from 200 to 300 calories each pop but who knows. All I know is I am a sweaty mess and nearly passing out after each session, but I'm determined, and have even let my co-workers David and Eric know I am self-committed to doing it at 3:00 each shift.

Like BINT, I've found that working out is an excellent new addiction that I now look forward to. Like then, I become entranced while working out to my favorite high energy tunes, but back then I was restricted to a heavy and bulky portable cassette player and scratchy, well-worn cassettes or staticy FM radio. Now I have a tiny, virtually weightless iPod Shuffle and crystal-clear digital music I can add to cheap-cheap.

As far as food goes, here's a typical day's meals:

Breakfast: (around 10:00 pm) 8oz glass of V8, 50 calories.
Lunch: (around 2:00 am) Spinach and Romaine lettuce salad with cherry tomatoes, onion, baby bella mushrooms and Claussen pickles drizzled with 2 tbsp. of Kraft Tuscan dressing cut with 50% lemon juice, 130 calories. Turkey kielbasa, 2 oz., with pan-seared cabbage in beef broth and mustard, 145 calories.
Dinner: (around 8:00 am) Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth, 50 calories. Ground turkey stuffed peppers, 355 calories.
Snack: Gala apple, 110 calories.

Total daily calories: 840

Yes, I know this is low. I track it all on myfinesspal.com and it tells me that too. But, you know, it's what I did BINT. And back then too, I just ignored the "helpful" detractors and "advisers" and did what felt right to me. And that's what I'm doing again. Of course it won't stay this low forever, but while I am empowered by the Phen and my pink cloud, I'm riding it 'till I can't, or won't, ride it no more!

I've been watching some really inspirational documentaries like "Forks Over Knives" and "Food Matters" which have become new nutritional mantras to aim for. Very much like Susan Powter's and Covert Bailey's TV spots did BINT. Back then fat was the enemy. Now it's animal-based diets and processed foods. Still adds up to them same thing overall: eat smarter and eat less.

So I march along, singing a song, knowing that although my journey has just begun, I think I'm actually headed in the right direction at last. I just have to keep my eyes on the road ahead and watch out for those pot holes.

Pot holes filled with delicious cold, frothy beer, er, I mean poison.