Day 13: 17 Pounds

Talk about accountability. That's right, instead of some vague title like "Progress Report" or "Weight Loss Update" which could possibly allow for some excuse in not losing, I'm posting the total lost right up there. Up front and personal. This should make it clear that this new initiative is my number one goal. No more messing around.

Here's my strategy so far:

My inspiration is my self-visualization of a soon-to-be (well, perhaps up to a year?) renewed status as a thin and fit man. But I hold dear to the memory of my success in the past, mainly in the years 1992 and 1993 so I've used many of the practices and experiences of that time as a blueprint for guiding me in my new endeavor.

I've started to refer to those heralded years as BINT, an acronym for either "Back In Ninety-Two" or "Back In Ninety-Three." It's a common thing for me to think about a decision and reflect: "What did I do BINT?" or "BINT, I did such and such..." Of course I only have my own recollections of these past actions and sometimes they can be a little cloudy, but when I focus I can almost imagine I'm back "then," like in a time machine, setting down a foundation for a healthier lifestyle.

So with the visualization of a positive future and the lessons learned in a hard-fought past, I'm forging ahead, day-by-day, towards my goal at transforming reality into what I know it should be: a world with me thin and fit.

I hawk on about "frame of mind" and "visualization" because I've learned it's the number one most important objective in achieving success: the belief that it's obtainable and the unremitting commitment to the end goal.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos featuring people who have embarked on a weight-loss challenge only to hear them start to say things like: "Well, I cheated today, but that's okay, I deserve it." or "I bought chocolate and it's dark chocolate so that's good for you I guess, right?" And you see it in their faces. That little twinge. That flicker in their eyes. They've starting to lose focus. And, of course, before you know it, they stop posting videos. And it's been two years, no updates. It means they failed. Nobody films failure videos.

Another big thing is having a strong support system. BINT, I had Wayne. He didn't even know it most of the time since it was kinda unconscious even to myself at the time, but I looked up to what I saw as his incredible enthusiasm for his own goals and the energy he put into achieving them. Wayne had an almost fanatically zealous approach to getting a task done. And I knew I needed to have this attitude as well if I were to achieve my goal. Plus, I valued his opinion and perception of my character. Due to the smashing glass incident, I knew I needed to step up to the plate to show him I could grow from that and be a better person. I didn't want to let him down.

I have no such support system embodied by another person this time 'round, but I do have the ability to eliminate any negative influences and detractors. Namely Ric, of course. And, he has pretty much been taken out of the picture. I figure if I have no cheerleaders rooting for me, I sure the hell am not going to have those rooting against me. I do actually use one imaginary "cheerleader" in keeping me on track, though...

It's me. Well, the imagined spirit of me, BINT, of course. I keep this photo on my fridge. He's there to provide both encouragement and admonishment. It was taken by Wayne the morning after we'd arrived at my parent's time-share condo in Mashpee on the Cape. Right around this time of year, 1992. This would place it about a week or two after the smashing glass incident but before the Mother's Day start of my weight reduction plan. So this is a "before" picture.

In the present, I'm still in the early stages of my journey so my fridge contains many of the good items I've been buying this past fortnight but also harbors a few baddies in there as well. Things like Stouffer's French Bread Pizza and Great Value Battered Fish Fillets. His deadpan stare keeps me on task. He looks like he'd cut a bitch if you crossed him, so I better not. Especially in abstaining from alcohol. Of course, that stuff holds no lingering outpost in my refrigerator.  He, and I, won't allow it.

So, as far as the day-to-day meal plans and exercise regime, it's basically the stuff every good weight loss site recommends. Plenty of water. Low-fat and low-carb whole foods. No refined or processed junk. Cardio exercises regularly. Positive energy and attitude. To these steps I add my own, perhaps the most important one:

No excuses.