Sangria Sunday

What's my new Sunday morning obsession?

Lounging around with the Sunday Times and a cup of Starbucks? Screw that! Who reads papers anymore and why would I drink coffee in the morning...I'm going to bed in a few hours.

Dressing in my Sunday best and going to my neighborhood church to worship Our Lord? Um, fuck no to that...that's for sure!

It's firing up a good Netflix movie and chillin' out with a big ol' pitcher of sangria, my new drink of choice.

Yeah, I gotta lay off the beer. It's too bloating, too easy to overdo, and it's getting too expensive. Cost is a big factor actually. You know for just $10 I made a gallon of this stuff. Factoring in the mixers, ice and all, it equates roughly (by my guess) to the same alcohol content as a 12-pack of beer. You can't find any beer worth drinking for that price. And I used 2 bottles of a very good French Bordeaux import. (Albeit it was on sale)

On hot summer days, this is the perfect sipping drink.

Here's my sangria recipe, try it out if you like:

2 bottles (750ml each) Augey Bordeaux wine
3 cups Diet Sierra Mist
1 cup orange juice
14 tbsp. Splenda sweetener
1 lemon, cut in slices and pitted
2 oranges, cut in slices and pitted
1 granny smith apple, cored and cut in wedges
Lots of ice

Most recipes advise letting the mix sit in the fridge for at least several hours, but if you're like me, you need your drink on when you buy it so I enjoyed my first few glasses right away. It was fine enough, yum, yum, yum!