D3, DV, E3 And The TOV

Whew! What a weekend of distraction!

There was no lack of interesting things to keep me occupied this weekend. No time for crying over lost dreams, dire loneliness and the futility of life. No, none of that bull.

This weekend was full to the brim with new discoveries and fascinations.

First, I finally broke out the dusty wallet and bought Diablo III. Let me tell you, this game rocks! I never really got into the other 2 in the series and I'm not entirely sure why. But this one is holding my interest and the graphics are so pretty. Maybe that's what matters...because without luscious graphics, one gets bored of the same old slash and gash style of play as you enter one "dungeon" after another.

As I think of it, that's what set the Fallout series apart too. But it's more than just the graphics, it's the element of surprise, and a slow reveal of more and more interesting environments for your character. The music adds to it too as well as the plot and interactivity. I guess it'd be best to say it's the whole atmosphere of the game. It has to be just right...and Diablo III certainly is.

We'll see how enthusiastic I am about the game if my account gets hacked...as I hear that's a problem. The chat scroll on the bottom left of the game screen shows an already active spamming community buying and selling in-game gold. Oy veh!

I was watching the Yogscast play-through on YouTube when Simon mentioned some quote which Lewis felt would fall on deaf ears due to its apparent obscurity. Not one to be daunted by that, I figured it out to be from this guy who runs a daily podcast radio show called "Distorted View" featuring all manner of twisted things from the internet and beyond. On one YouTube video he did, it gave a bit of insight into his sick, twisted mind. He'd re-dubbed a clip of a Dutch comedy soap opera that features all Down's Syndrome actors called "Downisty"(a play on "Dynasty"). I kid you not, this is real. But his re-edited version makes it even more sick, if that's even possible!



Needless to say, I love this guy.

Of course E3 is going on this week and I watched G4 Channel's coverage of the opening day for hours last night. Who ever said that E3 was passé?

The Sony and Microsoft news media events were shown and I'll tell you, they seem to spare no expense. Microsoft's XBOX 360 people even rolled out Usher to plug its dance competition video game.

The upcoming games on either system look awesome, of course. It's getting quite difficult to distinguish live action from computer generated now. Truly some newer games are like watching, and being a part of, a big budget Hollywood action film. Even in D3, I noticed, the cut scenes, all CGI, looked so realistic, it is breathtaking. Man, we've come a long way from the Atari 2600 days of my youth!

Just an hour or so ago I was scanning my iGoogle headlines, reading about the drone attacks in Pakistan (Isn't that illegal in international law? Meh!) and other assorted humdrum stuff when I noticed that Venus was in transit across the sun right now. Cool! The Exploratorium in San Francisco was showing a live feed from Mauna Loa and accompanied it with some really cool new age riff that was being composed (presumably by computers) on the spot as the transit takes place. Sounded sweet!

So now I get ready to go back into work tonight and bid adieu to my interesting weekend. Only now to be supplanted with hours and hours of streaming indie films and documentaries, and perhaps a bit of a game or two.

Oh my job is so tough. Ya right...I'm living the dream, and I know it!