SCRAPBOOK: Yearbook Pics Class Of 1982

An old classmate of mine from high school was so good to have scanned the entire senior class pictures from our yearbook and posted them to his Facebook page.

Just when I think Facebook is worthless crap, it shows it can be a great resource for sharing and archiving. Especially things that others have lost.

As I wrote in a previous post, my copy of the "Quiver" was reportedly a casualty to a basement flood some years back, so it was quite a nice treat to find this online source. Thanks Denis (the kid, now man who scanned them).

I may have alluded to it before in many posts, especially FLASHBACKs that I was not entirely smitten with my high school years. In fact, I hated high school. I can't recall a time in my now lengthy life since then that I've ever hated a situation I was in as much as I did then.

Thankfully, the fog of time and many, many beers since then have tended to dull if not obliterate my memories of those days. I do remember having few friends. Especially by my senior year, having been shunned by John and distracted in total by my more adult life both at my job (HoJo's) and on the gay club scene, I really just glided through that year in a daze, not being able to relate to my "peers" in school anymore. I was beyond it all.

Here's a few selected pages. I'll point out significant faces for you...

Here in the above scanned page on the bottom left is one of my only friends from that year Richard B. We used to play paper wargames and admired heavy metal rock bands. We and our other buddy Stephen loved gross out jokes during lunch and basically we were the Three Super Geeks. One time, after Science Club, we were horsing around in the hallways and we accidentally busted a glass divider wall. We hauled ass and didn't get caught.

Here, coincidentally in the same position on the previous page as Richard is Stephen G. (I don't know why I'm only typing their last initials, you can see their full name under the photo. I guess I don't want some fuckhead Googling their name and coming up with this page and having something to say about my posts.) Stephen, BTW, is dead. He died not long after graduation (for which he was awarded the class honor of "Salutatorian"). Car crash. Very sad. Richard and I went to his funeral. Eerie to see his quote "Stephen plans to become an engineer." Never had the chance.

Here in the upper left corner is John N. The boy I was in love with. I've written numerous times about him in various posts. Remember I flew to Germany (well, actually West Germany then) to stay with him in '85? We had a troubled relationship. During this senior year he wouldn't even acknowledge my presence as we passed in the halls. *Le sigh*

That dweeb in the upper right...yup, that's me. So young and naive. Like the song chosen as the theme for the prom I attended, "Do you know where you're going to?" Clearly, you look at that face above and he didn't. What is it Walt Whitman said about the innocence of youth? Ah yes:

Youth, large, lusty, loving--youth full of grace, force, fascination,
Do you know that Old Age may come after you with equal grace,
force, fascination?

Day full-blown and splendid-day of the immense sun, action,
ambition, laughter,
The Night follows close with millions of suns, and sleep and
restoring darkness