MINECRAFT MANIA: Minecraft 1.0

After what I'd say was the longest and most prolifically-distributed alpha and beta releases of a video game I can think of, Minecraft 1.0 has finally arrived.

So that means after two and a half years of "testing" the game should be bug free, right? Well...


Here's my fabulous "We Built This City". Seems the same as beta 1.8 but we're facing towards what I used to think was the north. And now the sun sets here. So basically, the Minecraft planet (which as proven in the "Moon" mod is indeed a cube, or maybe a flat square...the jury's out on that one) has flipped 90 degrees on its "axis". Oh well, no bother to me. We all know this isn't Earth after all, so strange positioning of the sun and moon is no biggie.

I've also noticed grass has different shades now, making my fields of greenery look a bit odd. Trees have variation of green which does look nice. Water looks darker and very different. Of course all this could also be due to either my re-installation of the graphics drivers (which were giving me an irritating error message each start-up) or the fact I've begun using my new 24" monitor which arrived a couple days ago.

Sounds are a little different too. There's a "clink" when you wear out a tool and there's a bone-crushing thud when you fall; no more "ohhph!".

But my city survives. And when I get the new 'puter with her blazing specs, there'll be no limit to how magnificent she'll shine. Even if it is in the blare of a southern sunrise.