More Bright House Bullshit

Last month I finally ditched my old tube TV and got a Samsung LED HDTV. The TV works great but Bright House's HD service sucks, to say the least.

First, when I traded in my regular digital box for an HD converter, I was given a banged up used unit. Sure enough, I had problems right away.

Every few days or so I'd go to turn on the TV and the picture would show up with no sound. Then some text appeared saying that the HDMI couldn't be read and it suggested I use another hook-up configuration. Calling customer service was, like in the past, a waste of time. They told me what their support pages on their horribly-designed website told me: unplug the box, plug it back in, and let it reboot.

Another problem that frequently occurred was that when clicking over to certain channels the show wouldn't be there. Instead it would be a graphic that just said: This channel is currently unavailable. Please try again later. And it indicated that I could press the yellow triangle "A" on the remote to "Try Again", and, of course, it would just keep displaying the same message. Again, customer service gave me directions to reboot. They also managed to click on something to do a "more powerful" reboot from their end. All that failing, they sent out a tech.

The tech replaced my converter box with a brand new one. But now the picture quality looks more washed out than before. Could the box affect that?

And the previous problems?

Still there.

I just love paying for crappy cable service.

Too bad I'm in a north-facing apartment. Otherwise DirectTV might look pretty tempting.