EPCOT: The World In My Belly

The 2011 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival is now underway and I had a wonderful afternoon sampling what the world (or at least the parts of the world represented) had to offer me as I strolled through the World Showcase in search of tasty culinary delights. And alcohol, of course.

I arrived at Epcot around noon today and first made my way to Spaceship Earth. Hard to believe that I hadn't been on this iconic ride since before it was refurbished in early 2008. It seems smoother now (not so much clickity-clack as before, and no more old machinery/burning oil smell) and much more up-to-date. (It was a little sad before the refurb, as late as the mid-2000's, seeing the "future" diorama showing people with cell phones as big as toasters LOL!)

Next I went to my favorite ride here, Mission: Space. More Intense Orange queue of course! A lady in my pod feared she'd get sick and had the sickness bag at the ready before the ride even got under way. Whew, luckily, she didn't need it. She said she'd never go on it again though. Ah yes, I remember years ago being a bit intimidated by this ride. The g-forces are a bit intense at times but that's the fun of it!

By now my tummy was growling and as I made my way toward the World Showcase (moving in the traditional clockwise pattern) I could smell the wonderful array of grilled and steamed foods filling the warm air.

Speaking of the air, the weather could not have been more ideal today, high in the low 80's, low humidity, a gentle breeze and not a cloud in the sky! Fall seems to have arrived here in Central Florida, and I'm lovin' it! I was able to soak up lots of luscious rays today; much needed for my Vitamin D deprived, night-dweller self.

My first festival stop was Argentina (What? Where's Argentina? Some of you who've been to Epcot may say this...well during the Food and Wine Festival they have lots of nationalities in kiosks that don't have a permanent showcase "land" here...doesn't that fact alone make the Festival more appealing? "Not a paid spokesperson for Disney, just a fan:)").

Here I had the Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée paired with Terrazas Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon. Yummy! The sauce on the beef was like a pesto with lots of garlic. It sat on top of a dollop of what tasted just like scrumptious mashed potatoes. The wine was bold but smooth. I kinda expected they'd have a nice Shiraz. I associate that variety as being especially good from South American vineyards.

Next was Mexico. Here I sampled the Rib Eye Taco with Chipotle Sauce in a flour tortilla and a Strawberry Lime Margarita on the rocks. The taco was tasty, but runny and I forgot a napkin, LOL! And the margarita, very weak on the tequila. Ugh!

I passed over Scandinavia and China since the items I would have wanted to try there would be available either at IKEA or any local Chinese buffet respectively. Instead, I made a B-Line for South Korea.

Here I tried Boolgogi BBQ Beef with Steamed Rice and Kimchi and a Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw. I have never tried Korean food before but I'd read about it and was very curious. Now that I've had it I can honestly say...FABULOUS! Oh, I need to find a Korean restaurant now! I loved the Kimchi!

But now it was time to commence the beer drinking. Fortunately Germany was right around the bend. I remember years ago the Epcot food and Wine festival really focused on the wine and relegated the beers to afterthoughts. No longer. Beer is available at almost every kiosk and it's fresh and good. I expect they'll rename it to the Food and Beverages Festival sometime in the near future, eh? Anyway, I digress, back to the day's events...

In the German "land" they had a kiosk that was entirely devoted to just beer. No food, no wine, just beer. But about 12 varieties of beer! I chose the Radeberger Pilsner (German Pilsner) 22 oz. in a plastic collector's mug with the Food and Wine logo embossed on it. This beer tasted VERY fresh. It reminded me when I visited Germany...the real one...and drank fresh-brewed beer. I was feeling a little buzzed after this.

I went to the food kiosk for Germany and got a Nuernberger Sausage in a Pretzel Roll. It came with a dab of mustard on the paper plate. Ah, it reminded me of street kiosks selling bratwurst sandwiches in the real Nuremberg. Absolutely delicious!

Next I strolled over to the nearby Poland kiosk. Here I ordered Kielbasa and Potato Pierogie with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream; Golabki (pork-stuffed cabbage). It was like I was a child enjoying Christmas Eve dinner again. Oh, this was good stuff!

I sat at an Italy area table to eat my Polish food and sip the remainder of my German beer. Once finished, I meandered over to Singapore. Here I sampled Shrimp Cake on a Sugarcane Skewer with Singapore Noodles paired with a Tiger Beer. I was surprised the noodles were cold but they were very tasty. (The cold noodles were on purpose, BTW...I have to say, the folks at Epcot were tremendous...I watched as workers ferried battery-electrified carts to the various kiosks, insuring the food would be kept hot...and it was!)

I sat for a while, soaking up some much needed sun, then, after I finished my Tiger Beer, I went to Japan and got a 16 oz. Kirin beer. I sat and watched a Japanese drummer presentation.

Afterwards I walked sipping my beer. I was feeling too full to try anything else but after a while I found just enough room for dessert.

I got a chocolate covered cannoli at a permanent Italy kiosk and after eagerly munching it down I sat near the Piazza San Marco and watched a mime show. After that there was a troupe of Italian women belting out traditional Italian favorites. They also put on a show incorporating members of the viewing audience. Guess who was called up to participate? Yup, me!

I was wrangled up to play a part in a simple play and I loved it. I was told to pretend to be crying as a "parent of the bride" in the play we were preforming and I did so with relish. I was asked to stay to assist in the next skit as well. It was really a lot of fun!

It was getting close to the concert time so I grabbed a Sam Adams 16th Anniversary Boston Lager from the American kiosk and sipped on it as I waited at the American Adventure Stage for .38 Special.

The band was great! Classic Southern-rock standards from the mid-80's!

After the show, as the sun closed in on the horizon, I made my way out of the park and headed home. A belly full of world foods and drinks. Now, yes, it did cost more than $75 for this feast (that's just the food and drinks, of course, we're not counting the park admission since I have the annual pass) but it was well worth it!