My Memories Day

Memorial Day usually translates to Memories Day for me. Not taking anything away from the veterans, I've known none personally that would illicit memorializing so I think of loved ones in my past who are now just memories.

In this spirit, I visited my sister-in-law's Facebook page and noticed new photos of her and her sons, my nephews. I've included one below. She looks still very much the same but her boys...I last saw the oldest (who now, as you can see, towers above his mother) when he was 2, and the younger one, I never met.

Funny how a decade can pass when you're middle-aged and nothing much seems to change. I look somewhat the same (like Kim in the photo) as I did ten years ago (albeit fatter) and everyone I associate on a regular basis is either newer in my life or, like Ric, also relatively unchanged.

When you have kids though, the years make their mark more obviously. In one decade a toddler becomes a post-pubescent teenager soon about to enter into adulthood.

Kinda explains the phenomenon I've noticed time and time again. People my age who have had kids tend to act more "adult" and "mature", whereas, those like me staying single and childless seem more "childlike" and "immature" themselves. I'm not making any judgement as to which is the most appropriate way to be for ones my age, but I personally don't feel the need to shy away from my life of few responsibilities, playing video games and living carefree.

Though they don't know it, I'm proud of my nephews and wish them the best. Perhaps someday we shall meet. Though it may have to be once they're fully grown since I have no freakin' idea how to talk to children.