Just One More Turn

My eyes are sore. My fingers are sore. My back is sore. My ass is sore. Hell, everything is sore.

Friday while leisurely checking out some of my fave web sites, I read about one gaming blogger's opinion of his new copy of Civ 5.

What!? It's out?

Sure enough after I quickly clicked over to the official Civ 5 website, it had been out for over two weeks!

Oh I knew it was due out this "fall" but I assumed like before it would be delayed 'till near Holiday time.

Well before you could say Run Geek Run!, I got dressed, made my way to Walmart and bought me a copy.

So now I sit here at the computer every waking hour, usually 'till the sun comes up, playing it. It didn't help that I was racked with a nasty cold (rare for me, but I'd visited Ric last Wednesday night and he was sick so I must have caught it from him) and felt miserable. But I endured.

Public opinion on the discussion boards seems split down the middle. Half love it, the other half hates it. Well, maybe not that harsh on the hate it side. Many of them just want things "fixed". I think it's fine as it is. Its the same Civilization I've loved for decades now, but different in many ways. For the better, I feel.

A lot of the useless pick-a-ninny things I hated in previous versions are happily 'no more' like corruption in Civ III and religion in CIV IV. Espionage is gone too...good riddance. The AI used spies way too frequently in CIV IV to sabotage shit. Just a nuisance but like a little gnat a pesky thing that is better off gone.

Its shining accomplishments are the things that I get choked up about the most...stunning visuals, intuitive and powerful interface and gorgeous atmospheric music.

I'm ending my game tonite before dawn. I'm starting to feel better and I want to somewhat re-adjust my sleep schedule to something more normal.

But it was hard telling my self to put the mouse down and step away from the computer.

Now I'll likely do like I did yesterday when I went to bed. I'll be dreaming that I'm still playing.