The Magic Awaits. Only One Month Away

In just about a month from now, Islands of Adventure will unveil its newest addition. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens June 18 and the anticipation fever is rising.

Though the throngs will no doubt be massive, I'll be there sometime within a few weeks of its opening. It looks like it'll be awesome.

I was at the park yesterday and took these photos with my new Samsung phone. Takes pretty good looking shots for a camera phone, if you ask me.


Here's a look towards Hogwarts Castle. Seeing it in person, you note it is high but not as high or as big as you may think. It is constructed using foreshortened perspective, a common theme park trick. Impressive nonetheless though. It's a bit odd seeing it with palm trees and other subtropical flora in the foreground but you gotta remember...we are seeing this from a bridge designed to be temporary while they work on this area. Once completed, I'm sure, when you enter the WWHP island, you won't see a hint of "Florida".


And here we see the back of Hogsmeade Village and the patio seating of Three Broomsticks restaurant. This location is on the exact site of the former (much beloved) Enchanted Oak Tavern and Alchemy Bar. It looks like they built out the escarpment and refaced the stone walling surrounding the patio with a darker colored "rock". I'm sure they'll serve up the same or similar fare to its predecessor like wood-fire barbequed chicken and ribs. Yum!

I'm not an UBER fan of HP but I've seen all the movies (read no books since I hold a bias as they are, after all, children's books) and I like the premise. I'm sure if I were 30 years younger I'd be absolutely nuts about the whole HP thing. But I think this new "island" will be a fascinating journey, like the other islands at this wonderful park. An escape into the world of imagination...where anything is possible!