SCRAPBOOK: Favorite '70s Kids Shows

As a kid growing up in the seventies, I had a wide array of really quite unique TV programming produced for my "last of the Baby Boomers" demographic. Here's a few images from some of my favorites.

(BTW, I was going to include the mp3s I have of each of these shows' theme songs but it seemed more trouble than it was worth, so if you want to hear the music to these shows, go to http://www.televisiontunes.com/index.php)

Zoom

This was a locally (Boston) produced PBS show which defies definition. Part educational, part entertainment, it was one of the forerunners of the live-action "edutainment" style shows which became increasingly popular. The theme song was iconic and heralded us kids to the boob tube every Saturday morning, as if we weren't already planted there. The mailing address to submit viewer mail was sung in such a catchy way, I still remember it today: "Send it to ZOOM, BOX 350, BOSTON, MASS...Oh, Two, One, Three, Four! SEND IT TO ZOOM!"

Jabberwocky

Around the same time and hailing locally, also from Beantown (this time Channel 5 WCVB-TV), this uber-low budget show featured a young black dude with a really serious fro, a young hippie white chick (who went on to later fame in the '80s with the "Poltergeist" films - none other than JoBeth Williams) and a short, fat, gruff-sounding "furry" (if you want to call felt strips "fur") puppet who loved filth (a slight Oscar the Grouch ripoff?).

The Electric Company

Once upon a time, before he became the voiceover for every dramatic narration needed in Hollywood, and the "go to guy" for the stereotypical wise older black man in a position of authority, Morgan Freeman started as one of the hosts of a kids show called "The Electric Company". This show was basically "Sesame Street" for a slightly older and more urbane (and urban) kid looking for "groovy" Saturday morning TV fare.


Schoolhouse Rock

Who of my generation can forget the impact of these educational, yet fun and energetic cartoon shorts? Here are my two favorites: "The Preamble" and "Conjunction Junction".

Banana Splits

This show was a bit too slap-stick and low-brow for me, but I loved the opening shots where we hear the theme music play as the goofy Banana Split characters romp around King's Dominion theme park. Watching them plunge down the flume ride at the beginning of each show just reinforced my own fond memories of my experiences at Rocky Point, and further cemented my love of theme parks.

Lidsville

Okay, now we start to enter into the bizarre world of Sid and Marty Kroftt. Lets face it, this show, featuring an over-the-top performance by a make-up encrusted Charles Nelson Reilly and a kinda hot boy made me the gay man I am today!

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

Or maybe it was this one...with two cute young boys, playing on the beach, befriending a shy and outcast sea monster. Oh, but maybe it was the confetti-tossing, ultra-fey, feathered-haired and always outlandish Rip Taylor! Oh my!

HR Pufnstuf

Not only is the plot super "out there", but you gotta listen closely to the lyrics to the theme song: "HR Pufnstuf, can't do a little 'cause you can't do enough." So there's the root of my addictive behavior as well...Oh Brother!

Land of the Lost

I think I'll try to convince Ric to see the new movie this weekend. I wonder what they've done with one of my favorite shows of all time. BTW, I had a crush on the character Will and my sister had a crush on Holly. She loved Chacka too, so, go figure!